Dec 18, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
The matchup for the fourth Armed Forces Classic was announced on Wednesday morning and it will be a family affair, with Rick Pitino’s Louisville Cardinals facing his son Richard’s Minnesota squad in Puerto Rico at the U.S. Coast Guard’s Air Station Borinquen. The news was first reported by Andy Katz of ESPN.com.
Back in September Rick Pitino stated that he wanted to play his son’s team in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, as Louisville will be making the move to the ACC on July 1, 2014. With this news that obviously won’t happen.
After playing the first game in the history of the event on the USS Carl Vinson in 2011 (North Carolina beat Michigan State) the next two meetings were played on military bases. A factor in that move were weather concerns, with condensation being an issue due to the game being played outdoors.
The 2012 edition was played at Rammstein Air Base in Germany (UConn defeated Michigan State), with this year’s game hosted by Camp Humphreys in South Korea. Oregon beat Georgetown in that matchup.
Also of note on Wednesday was the announcement that the 2016 edition of the event will be a doubleheader to be played at Pearl Harbor to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the attack on the Honolulu base.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)