Dec 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Former Duke forward Alex Murphy is going to following in his older brother’s footsteps.
On Tuesday night, following Providence’s 76-74 win over Yale, Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal reported that Murphy, a South Kingstown, R.I. native, had decided to join Florida, the same school his older brother Erik played four years for Billy Donovan, averaging 12.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game as a senior, and is currently a rookie with the Chicago Bulls.
According to McNamara, Murphy had also considered Providence, Rhode Island and Northeastern.
Alex, the redshirt sophomore forward, announced his intent to transfer from Duke back on Dec. 5 at the end of the fall semester after averaging only 6.6 minutes per game, basically the same amount of time he saw last season as a freshman.
“I’ve gotten a chance to know Coach (Billy) Donovan and the program,” Murphy told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman on Wednesday morning. “I think it’s a great fit for me to continue my career. I think they can help me develop as a player — and that I can help them a lot as well.”
Florida was the favorite once he decided the transfer. The Gators had offered Murphy while he was in high school at the St. Mark’s School (Mass.) before he ultimately decided to reclassify and commit to the Blue Devils. Murphy have a better chance to for playing time in Gainesville, especially next season when Billy Donovan losses Patric Young and Casey Prather on the frontline.
Alex isn’t the last of the Murphy brothers. Tomas is a 6-foot-6 freshman at the Prout School (R.I.), last week in his first varsity game he poured in 26 points.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)