Dec 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Former Duke forward Alex Murphy is going to following in his older brother’s footsteps.
On Tuesday night, following Providence’s 76-74 win over Yale, Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal reported that Murphy, a South Kingstown, R.I. native, had decided to join Florida, the same school his older brother Erik played four years for Billy Donovan, averaging 12.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game as a senior, and is currently a rookie with the Chicago Bulls.
According to McNamara, Murphy had also considered Providence, Rhode Island and Northeastern.
Alex, the redshirt sophomore forward, announced his intent to transfer from Duke back on Dec. 5 at the end of the fall semester after averaging only 6.6 minutes per game, basically the same amount of time he saw last season as a freshman.
“I’ve gotten a chance to know Coach (Billy) Donovan and the program,” Murphy told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman on Wednesday morning. “I think it’s a great fit for me to continue my career. I think they can help me develop as a player — and that I can help them a lot as well.”
Florida was the favorite once he decided the transfer. The Gators had offered Murphy while he was in high school at the St. Mark’s School (Mass.) before he ultimately decided to reclassify and commit to the Blue Devils. Murphy have a better chance to for playing time in Gainesville, especially next season when Billy Donovan losses Patric Young and Casey Prather on the frontline.
Alex isn’t the last of the Murphy brothers. Tomas is a 6-foot-6 freshman at the Prout School (R.I.), last week in his first varsity game he poured in 26 points.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)