Dec 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Former Duke forward Alex Murphy is going to following in his older brother’s footsteps.
On Tuesday night, following Providence’s 76-74 win over Yale, Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal reported that Murphy, a South Kingstown, R.I. native, had decided to join Florida, the same school his older brother Erik played four years for Billy Donovan, averaging 12.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game as a senior, and is currently a rookie with the Chicago Bulls.
According to McNamara, Murphy had also considered Providence, Rhode Island and Northeastern.
Alex, the redshirt sophomore forward, announced his intent to transfer from Duke back on Dec. 5 at the end of the fall semester after averaging only 6.6 minutes per game, basically the same amount of time he saw last season as a freshman.
“I’ve gotten a chance to know Coach (Billy) Donovan and the program,” Murphy told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman on Wednesday morning. “I think it’s a great fit for me to continue my career. I think they can help me develop as a player — and that I can help them a lot as well.”
Florida was the favorite once he decided the transfer. The Gators had offered Murphy while he was in high school at the St. Mark’s School (Mass.) before he ultimately decided to reclassify and commit to the Blue Devils. Murphy have a better chance to for playing time in Gainesville, especially next season when Billy Donovan losses Patric Young and Casey Prather on the frontline.
Alex isn’t the last of the Murphy brothers. Tomas is a 6-foot-6 freshman at the Prout School (R.I.), last week in his first varsity game he poured in 26 points.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)