Dec 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
Former Duke forward Alex Murphy is going to following in his older brother’s footsteps.
On Tuesday night, following Providence’s 76-74 win over Yale, Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal reported that Murphy, a South Kingstown, R.I. native, had decided to join Florida, the same school his older brother Erik played four years for Billy Donovan, averaging 12.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game as a senior, and is currently a rookie with the Chicago Bulls.
According to McNamara, Murphy had also considered Providence, Rhode Island and Northeastern.
Alex, the redshirt sophomore forward, announced his intent to transfer from Duke back on Dec. 5 at the end of the fall semester after averaging only 6.6 minutes per game, basically the same amount of time he saw last season as a freshman.
“I’ve gotten a chance to know Coach (Billy) Donovan and the program,” Murphy told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman on Wednesday morning. “I think it’s a great fit for me to continue my career. I think they can help me develop as a player — and that I can help them a lot as well.”
Florida was the favorite once he decided the transfer. The Gators had offered Murphy while he was in high school at the St. Mark’s School (Mass.) before he ultimately decided to reclassify and commit to the Blue Devils. Murphy have a better chance to for playing time in Gainesville, especially next season when Billy Donovan losses Patric Young and Casey Prather on the frontline.
Alex isn’t the last of the Murphy brothers. Tomas is a 6-foot-6 freshman at the Prout School (R.I.), last week in his first varsity game he poured in 26 points.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)