Dec 18, 2013, 12:53 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 16 Florida 77, No. 15 Memphis 75
The Gators looked like they would cruise in the final minutes of second half, but the Tigers charged back. Joe Jackson had a chance to tie, but could not convert Florida, finally healthy and still getting players back, are showing how impressive it can be. In back-to-back games the Gators have defeated Kansas and Memphis.
OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: South Florida 68, Florida Gulf Coast 66, 2 OT
It took two overtimes, and almost a third but South Florida escaped with a win over its in-state foe. Chase Fieler caught a full-court inbound pass from Jamail Jones, and scored what would of been a tying bucket. However, he caught the ball with 0.3 seconds remaining, too much time to catch and shoot.
Cincinnati 44, Pittsburgh 43: Titus Rubles put in the game-winning bucket with four seconds remaining. Pitt was 10-0, and after a weak non-conference schedule, the Panthers lost their first game.
No. 11 Wichita State 72, Alabama 67: The Shockers went into to Tuscaloosa and took the marquee win the Crimson Tide were looking for. Wichita State improves to 11-0 for the first time in school history.
New Mexico State 67, New Mexico 61: Big win for the Aggies, on the road against its arch-rival. The Lobos have lost two straight.
No 13 Oregon 91, UC-Irvine 63: Blowout win for the Ducks, but it was the first time they had sophomores Dominic Artis and Ben Carter, who each served a nine-game suspension, in the lineup. Artis ended with five points, eight rebounds and three assists while Carter ended with four points, four rebounds and three assists.
Cleanthony Early, Wichita State: The senior forward scored 26 points and shot 11-of-11 from the free throw line in a win.
Cameron Clark, Oklahoma: Clark went for 31 points and six boards in the Sooners’ 91-89 win over UT-Arlington. He sunk two free throws with 9.7 seconds left for the win.
Shawn Long, Louisiana-Layfayette: Long scored 30 points off a perfect 12-for-12 shooting from the field in a lopsided 103-69 win over Centenary. Long added seven rebounds and had two blocks. He could of had 34 points, but missed four free throws.
Pittsburgh: Panthers lost their first game of the season and shot 34 percent (15 percent from three) from the field. Pitt made 19 free throws (missed 10), and only connected on 11 field goals.
Charlotte: The 49ers gave up 106 points (to their 62) committed 19 turnovers and shot 35 percent in a blowout loss to Florida State. Charlotte won last month’s Puerto Rico Tip-Off, the same event Florida State was in.
New Mexico’s first half: The Lobo’s shot 27 percent, which dug them into a 13-point hole heading into halftime. New Mexico’s late-game comeback came up short against rival New Mexico State.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 5 Michigan State 78, North Florida 48
- No. 6 Louisville 90, Missouri State 60
- No. 7 Oklahoma State 75, Delaware State 43
- Manhattan 86, South Carolina 68
- Georgetown 85, Elon 76
- Providence 76, Yale 74
- VCU 72, Wofford 57
- Toledo 78, Arkansas State 65
- Creighton 88, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 51
- Marquette 91, Ball State 53
- Denver 90, Belmont 62
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)