Dec 18, 2013, 12:20 AM EST
New Mexico State held a 13-point halftime lead and nearly gave it away in the waning moments of the game, but Daniel Mullings block on Cullen Neal kept New Mexico from tying the game at 61 with 30 seconds to play.
K.C. Ross-Miller would go to the line three times in the final seconds and connect on all six free throws, icing the game and helping the Aggies pick up a 67-61 non-conference victory over the rival Lobos on Tuesday night inside The Pit.
The Aggies led 39-26 at half aided by 7-of-12 3-point shooting, while the Lobos struggled to knock down shots, connecting on 27 percent of their attempts in the first half.
New Mexico State is one of the favorites in the WAC, and its out-of-conference schedule was filled with tough opponents, including a grueling portion of the schedule that included back-to-back road games against No. 19 Gonzaga and top-ranked Arizona. Tuesday night gives the Aggies a signature non-conference win, with two games to go before conference play begins.
The Lobos, who were without Hugh Greenwood on Tuesday, have dropped back-to-back games after losing to No. 13 Kansas on Saturday. They take on Marquette, at a neutral site, on Dec. 21.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 0
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)