Dec 18, 2013, 12:20 AM EST
New Mexico State held a 13-point halftime lead and nearly gave it away in the waning moments of the game, but Daniel Mullings block on Cullen Neal kept New Mexico from tying the game at 61 with 30 seconds to play.
K.C. Ross-Miller would go to the line three times in the final seconds and connect on all six free throws, icing the game and helping the Aggies pick up a 67-61 non-conference victory over the rival Lobos on Tuesday night inside The Pit.
The Aggies led 39-26 at half aided by 7-of-12 3-point shooting, while the Lobos struggled to knock down shots, connecting on 27 percent of their attempts in the first half.
New Mexico State is one of the favorites in the WAC, and its out-of-conference schedule was filled with tough opponents, including a grueling portion of the schedule that included back-to-back road games against No. 19 Gonzaga and top-ranked Arizona. Tuesday night gives the Aggies a signature non-conference win, with two games to go before conference play begins.
The Lobos, who were without Hugh Greenwood on Tuesday, have dropped back-to-back games after losing to No. 13 Kansas on Saturday. They take on Marquette, at a neutral site, on Dec. 21.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)