Dec 18, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
New Mexico State held a 13-point halftime lead and nearly gave it away in the waning moments of the game, but Daniel Mullings block on Cullen Neal kept New Mexico from tying the game at 61 with 30 seconds to play.
K.C. Ross-Miller would go to the line three times in the final seconds and connect on all six free throws, icing the game and helping the Aggies pick up a 67-61 non-conference victory over the rival Lobos on Tuesday night inside The Pit.
The Aggies led 39-26 at half aided by 7-of-12 3-point shooting, while the Lobos struggled to knock down shots, connecting on 27 percent of their attempts in the first half.
New Mexico State is one of the favorites in the WAC, and its out-of-conference schedule was filled with tough opponents, including a grueling portion of the schedule that included back-to-back road games against No. 19 Gonzaga and top-ranked Arizona. Tuesday night gives the Aggies a signature non-conference win, with two games to go before conference play begins.
The Lobos, who were without Hugh Greenwood on Tuesday, have dropped back-to-back games after losing to No. 13 Kansas on Saturday. They take on Marquette, at a neutral site, on Dec. 21.
- Alabama’s treatment of former player Daisha Simmons is shameful 0
- Throwback Thursday: Illinois and Arizona spar in a phenomenal 2005 Elite 8 game 0
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 1
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)