Dec 18, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
New Mexico State held a 13-point halftime lead and nearly gave it away in the waning moments of the game, but Daniel Mullings block on Cullen Neal kept New Mexico from tying the game at 61 with 30 seconds to play.
K.C. Ross-Miller would go to the line three times in the final seconds and connect on all six free throws, icing the game and helping the Aggies pick up a 67-61 non-conference victory over the rival Lobos on Tuesday night inside The Pit.
The Aggies led 39-26 at half aided by 7-of-12 3-point shooting, while the Lobos struggled to knock down shots, connecting on 27 percent of their attempts in the first half.
New Mexico State is one of the favorites in the WAC, and its out-of-conference schedule was filled with tough opponents, including a grueling portion of the schedule that included back-to-back road games against No. 19 Gonzaga and top-ranked Arizona. Tuesday night gives the Aggies a signature non-conference win, with two games to go before conference play begins.
The Lobos, who were without Hugh Greenwood on Tuesday, have dropped back-to-back games after losing to No. 13 Kansas on Saturday. They take on Marquette, at a neutral site, on Dec. 21.
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 0
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 9
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)