Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Who wouldn’t love that matchup?
Kansas vs. Wichita State in a three-game series, well unfortunately there is nothing in the works at the moment, despite a three-year offer Wichita State claims it proposed to Kansas, according to Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
Gregg Marshall said last week, he tried to get the Jayhawks to play his Shockers in a three-game series: a game played in Lawrence and Wichita with a third game at the Sprint Center in Kansas City.
“This isn’t knocking Wichita State,” Self told the Star on Tuesday. “But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it’s not. I’ve heard a lot of talk about them wanting to play us so bad; Gregg Marshall’s never contacted me about playing.”
It doesn’t appear that Kansas head coach Bill Self will change his stance. He’s been on the other side of these type of negotiations when he coached at Tulsa from 1997-2000, where bigger programs refused to schedule his program.
“It would be helpful,” Marshall added. “But still, we’re putting ourselves in a position where it doesn’t matter if they want to play or not. That’s what we have to do. One day, when it behooves them, then maybe it’ll happen.”
For all college basketball fans, hopefully it could be done in the future. But in the meantime, Self is going to continue to anchor a powerhouse program, while Marshall is building up his across the state.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)