Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Who wouldn’t love that matchup?
Kansas vs. Wichita State in a three-game series, well unfortunately there is nothing in the works at the moment, despite a three-year offer Wichita State claims it proposed to Kansas, according to Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
Gregg Marshall said last week, he tried to get the Jayhawks to play his Shockers in a three-game series: a game played in Lawrence and Wichita with a third game at the Sprint Center in Kansas City.
“This isn’t knocking Wichita State,” Self told the Star on Tuesday. “But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it’s not. I’ve heard a lot of talk about them wanting to play us so bad; Gregg Marshall’s never contacted me about playing.”
It doesn’t appear that Kansas head coach Bill Self will change his stance. He’s been on the other side of these type of negotiations when he coached at Tulsa from 1997-2000, where bigger programs refused to schedule his program.
“It would be helpful,” Marshall added. “But still, we’re putting ourselves in a position where it doesn’t matter if they want to play or not. That’s what we have to do. One day, when it behooves them, then maybe it’ll happen.”
For all college basketball fans, hopefully it could be done in the future. But in the meantime, Self is going to continue to anchor a powerhouse program, while Marshall is building up his across the state.
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)