Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Who wouldn’t love that matchup?
Kansas vs. Wichita State in a three-game series, well unfortunately there is nothing in the works at the moment, despite a three-year offer Wichita State claims it proposed to Kansas, according to Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
Gregg Marshall said last week, he tried to get the Jayhawks to play his Shockers in a three-game series: a game played in Lawrence and Wichita with a third game at the Sprint Center in Kansas City.
“This isn’t knocking Wichita State,” Self told the Star on Tuesday. “But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it’s not. I’ve heard a lot of talk about them wanting to play us so bad; Gregg Marshall’s never contacted me about playing.”
It doesn’t appear that Kansas head coach Bill Self will change his stance. He’s been on the other side of these type of negotiations when he coached at Tulsa from 1997-2000, where bigger programs refused to schedule his program.
“It would be helpful,” Marshall added. “But still, we’re putting ourselves in a position where it doesn’t matter if they want to play or not. That’s what we have to do. One day, when it behooves them, then maybe it’ll happen.”
For all college basketball fans, hopefully it could be done in the future. But in the meantime, Self is going to continue to anchor a powerhouse program, while Marshall is building up his across the state.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)