Dec 19, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Just days before the start of the season, 6-foot-6 junior wing Andrew Smeathers announced his decision to leave Butler at the end of the fall semester. Having played an average of just four minutes per game in two seasons at the school, Smeathers made the decision based upon his desire for more playing time.
On Thursday it was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports that Smeathers has decided to transfer to Mount St. Mary’s. Smeathers averaged 1.5 points per game as a Bulldog, with his most productive outing being a 17-point night in a win over Oakland City during his freshman season. If looking solely at games against Division I competition, Smeathers scored eight points in a loss at Detroit in January 2012.
Smeathers joins a program that will lose three perimeter players at the end of the current season in Julian Norfleet, Sam Prescott and Rashad Whack, with those three players being the Mountaineers’ leading scorers. Norfleet currently ranks third in the Northeast Conference in scoring with an average of 18.6 points per game and second in assists (5.4 apg) with Whack’s 14.6 ppg ranking ninth. Prescott’s currently averaging 9.6 points and 4.9 rebounds per contest.
Smeathers joins a five-member recruiting class that includes guard Lamont Robinson and four front court players. Normally a transfer at the end of the fall semester would result in a player having to sit out until the end of the fall semester in the next academic year. But with Georgetown center Joshua Smith receiving a waiver to play immediately after he played in six games at UCLA last season, it may be worthwhile to apply for a waiver especially when considering the fact that Smeathers hasn’t played at all this season.
If that’s the path Mount St. Mary’s head coach Jamion Christian and his staff consider pursuing, it will be an interesting case to keep an eye on.
- Diamond Stone discusses his package deal, recent weight loss 0
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 1 Recap: College players shine, LeBron joins high school campers 1
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 1 Recap: Derryck Thornton outshines Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere 0
- Senate Commerce Committee grills NCAA president Mark Emmert 0
- July Live Period Preview: The most notable events during the summer 0
- July Live Period Preview: Eight story lines to watch the next three weeks 0
- Seven programs with the most on the line during July’s live period 1
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (9)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Former NBA champion Robert Horry: ‘I hate AAU basketball’ (VIDEO) (3)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)