Dec 19, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Over the years music has been used as a way for teams and their fans to discuss their excellence in a way that is far removed from the standard media interviews or, in the case of fans, a sign brought to a game or a few moments of screaming in the background of a television report.
On Thursday a Kentucky native whose stage name is AP sent Kentucky Sports Radio a song he’d recorded in honor of the Kentucky Wildcats. It’s an interesting listen to say the least. The song includes shout-outs for Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and DeMarcus Cousins, and what would a song like this be without one gratuitous shot at in-state rival Louisville?
This is simply the latest song that’s been recorded in honor of a college basketball team. Former San Diego State forward Tim Shelton recorded a song entitled the “Aztec Motto,” and the music video included appearances by his teammates and the school’s student section, “The Show.” And after Lehigh knocked off Duke in the 2012 NCAA tournament a Lehigh grad by the name of Courtney Leffall produced a rap video about the Mountain Hawks’ victory.
Those are just two examples of songs recorded in recent years by college basketball fans, and there will be more. According to Kentucky Sports Radio AP’s album is due out in March, and we wish him the best in regards to the number of copies sold.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)