Dec 19, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Over the years music has been used as a way for teams and their fans to discuss their excellence in a way that is far removed from the standard media interviews or, in the case of fans, a sign brought to a game or a few moments of screaming in the background of a television report.
On Thursday a Kentucky native whose stage name is AP sent Kentucky Sports Radio a song he’d recorded in honor of the Kentucky Wildcats. It’s an interesting listen to say the least. The song includes shout-outs for Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and DeMarcus Cousins, and what would a song like this be without one gratuitous shot at in-state rival Louisville?
This is simply the latest song that’s been recorded in honor of a college basketball team. Former San Diego State forward Tim Shelton recorded a song entitled the “Aztec Motto,” and the music video included appearances by his teammates and the school’s student section, “The Show.” And after Lehigh knocked off Duke in the 2012 NCAA tournament a Lehigh grad by the name of Courtney Leffall produced a rap video about the Mountain Hawks’ victory.
Those are just two examples of songs recorded in recent years by college basketball fans, and there will be more. According to Kentucky Sports Radio AP’s album is due out in March, and we wish him the best in regards to the number of copies sold.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)