Dec 19, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Over the years music has been used as a way for teams and their fans to discuss their excellence in a way that is far removed from the standard media interviews or, in the case of fans, a sign brought to a game or a few moments of screaming in the background of a television report.
On Thursday a Kentucky native whose stage name is AP sent Kentucky Sports Radio a song he’d recorded in honor of the Kentucky Wildcats. It’s an interesting listen to say the least. The song includes shout-outs for Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and DeMarcus Cousins, and what would a song like this be without one gratuitous shot at in-state rival Louisville?
This is simply the latest song that’s been recorded in honor of a college basketball team. Former San Diego State forward Tim Shelton recorded a song entitled the “Aztec Motto,” and the music video included appearances by his teammates and the school’s student section, “The Show.” And after Lehigh knocked off Duke in the 2012 NCAA tournament a Lehigh grad by the name of Courtney Leffall produced a rap video about the Mountain Hawks’ victory.
Those are just two examples of songs recorded in recent years by college basketball fans, and there will be more. According to Kentucky Sports Radio AP’s album is due out in March, and we wish him the best in regards to the number of copies sold.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)