Dec 19, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Over the years music has been used as a way for teams and their fans to discuss their excellence in a way that is far removed from the standard media interviews or, in the case of fans, a sign brought to a game or a few moments of screaming in the background of a television report.
On Thursday a Kentucky native whose stage name is AP sent Kentucky Sports Radio a song he’d recorded in honor of the Kentucky Wildcats. It’s an interesting listen to say the least. The song includes shout-outs for Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and DeMarcus Cousins, and what would a song like this be without one gratuitous shot at in-state rival Louisville?
This is simply the latest song that’s been recorded in honor of a college basketball team. Former San Diego State forward Tim Shelton recorded a song entitled the “Aztec Motto,” and the music video included appearances by his teammates and the school’s student section, “The Show.” And after Lehigh knocked off Duke in the 2012 NCAA tournament a Lehigh grad by the name of Courtney Leffall produced a rap video about the Mountain Hawks’ victory.
Those are just two examples of songs recorded in recent years by college basketball fans, and there will be more. According to Kentucky Sports Radio AP’s album is due out in March, and we wish him the best in regards to the number of copies sold.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)