Dec 19, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Over the years music has been used as a way for teams and their fans to discuss their excellence in a way that is far removed from the standard media interviews or, in the case of fans, a sign brought to a game or a few moments of screaming in the background of a television report.
On Thursday a Kentucky native whose stage name is AP sent Kentucky Sports Radio a song he’d recorded in honor of the Kentucky Wildcats. It’s an interesting listen to say the least. The song includes shout-outs for Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and DeMarcus Cousins, and what would a song like this be without one gratuitous shot at in-state rival Louisville?
This is simply the latest song that’s been recorded in honor of a college basketball team. Former San Diego State forward Tim Shelton recorded a song entitled the “Aztec Motto,” and the music video included appearances by his teammates and the school’s student section, “The Show.” And after Lehigh knocked off Duke in the 2012 NCAA tournament a Lehigh grad by the name of Courtney Leffall produced a rap video about the Mountain Hawks’ victory.
Those are just two examples of songs recorded in recent years by college basketball fans, and there will be more. According to Kentucky Sports Radio AP’s album is due out in March, and we wish him the best in regards to the number of copies sold.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 1
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 1
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 54
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 8
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 13
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (60)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)