Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
After averaging a respectable 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, Dayton sophomore wing Dyshawn Pierre’s picked up where he left off for the Flyers. Currently averaging 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest and shooting 50.0% from the field, Pierre’s one of the reasons why Archie Miller’s team is off to a 9-2 start and has wins over Gonzaga, California and Iona.
In Dayton’s 96-84 win over Iona on Thursday night Pierre put together his best showing of the season, racking up 22 points, 14 rebounds and four assists with eight of those caroms being of the offensive variety. As a team Dayton shot 55.4% from the field and rebounded 44.5% of their missed shots, and they took full advantage of some shoddy Iona defense by scoring 52 points in the paint and 22 fast break points.
Dayton has a good rotation, from guards Jordan Sibert and Vee Sanford to a front court that features Pierre and Jalen Robinson. Add in two freshman guards with a high amount of potential (and talent) in Kyle Davis and Scoochie Smith, and what you have is a team that’s more than capable of finishing higher than the predicted seventh in the Atlantic 10. And if Pierre can continue on his current path, he’ll continue to receive individual praise as the season wears on.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 18
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (19)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)