Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
After averaging a respectable 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, Dayton sophomore wing Dyshawn Pierre’s picked up where he left off for the Flyers. Currently averaging 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest and shooting 50.0% from the field, Pierre’s one of the reasons why Archie Miller’s team is off to a 9-2 start and has wins over Gonzaga, California and Iona.
In Dayton’s 96-84 win over Iona on Thursday night Pierre put together his best showing of the season, racking up 22 points, 14 rebounds and four assists with eight of those caroms being of the offensive variety. As a team Dayton shot 55.4% from the field and rebounded 44.5% of their missed shots, and they took full advantage of some shoddy Iona defense by scoring 52 points in the paint and 22 fast break points.
Dayton has a good rotation, from guards Jordan Sibert and Vee Sanford to a front court that features Pierre and Jalen Robinson. Add in two freshman guards with a high amount of potential (and talent) in Kyle Davis and Scoochie Smith, and what you have is a team that’s more than capable of finishing higher than the predicted seventh in the Atlantic 10. And if Pierre can continue on his current path, he’ll continue to receive individual praise as the season wears on.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)