Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
After averaging a respectable 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, Dayton sophomore wing Dyshawn Pierre’s picked up where he left off for the Flyers. Currently averaging 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest and shooting 50.0% from the field, Pierre’s one of the reasons why Archie Miller’s team is off to a 9-2 start and has wins over Gonzaga, California and Iona.
In Dayton’s 96-84 win over Iona on Thursday night Pierre put together his best showing of the season, racking up 22 points, 14 rebounds and four assists with eight of those caroms being of the offensive variety. As a team Dayton shot 55.4% from the field and rebounded 44.5% of their missed shots, and they took full advantage of some shoddy Iona defense by scoring 52 points in the paint and 22 fast break points.
Dayton has a good rotation, from guards Jordan Sibert and Vee Sanford to a front court that features Pierre and Jalen Robinson. Add in two freshman guards with a high amount of potential (and talent) in Kyle Davis and Scoochie Smith, and what you have is a team that’s more than capable of finishing higher than the predicted seventh in the Atlantic 10. And if Pierre can continue on his current path, he’ll continue to receive individual praise as the season wears on.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)