Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
After averaging a respectable 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, Dayton sophomore wing Dyshawn Pierre’s picked up where he left off for the Flyers. Currently averaging 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest and shooting 50.0% from the field, Pierre’s one of the reasons why Archie Miller’s team is off to a 9-2 start and has wins over Gonzaga, California and Iona.
In Dayton’s 96-84 win over Iona on Thursday night Pierre put together his best showing of the season, racking up 22 points, 14 rebounds and four assists with eight of those caroms being of the offensive variety. As a team Dayton shot 55.4% from the field and rebounded 44.5% of their missed shots, and they took full advantage of some shoddy Iona defense by scoring 52 points in the paint and 22 fast break points.
Dayton has a good rotation, from guards Jordan Sibert and Vee Sanford to a front court that features Pierre and Jalen Robinson. Add in two freshman guards with a high amount of potential (and talent) in Kyle Davis and Scoochie Smith, and what you have is a team that’s more than capable of finishing higher than the predicted seventh in the Atlantic 10. And if Pierre can continue on his current path, he’ll continue to receive individual praise as the season wears on.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)