Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
After averaging a respectable 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, Dayton sophomore wing Dyshawn Pierre’s picked up where he left off for the Flyers. Currently averaging 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest and shooting 50.0% from the field, Pierre’s one of the reasons why Archie Miller’s team is off to a 9-2 start and has wins over Gonzaga, California and Iona.
In Dayton’s 96-84 win over Iona on Thursday night Pierre put together his best showing of the season, racking up 22 points, 14 rebounds and four assists with eight of those caroms being of the offensive variety. As a team Dayton shot 55.4% from the field and rebounded 44.5% of their missed shots, and they took full advantage of some shoddy Iona defense by scoring 52 points in the paint and 22 fast break points.
Dayton has a good rotation, from guards Jordan Sibert and Vee Sanford to a front court that features Pierre and Jalen Robinson. Add in two freshman guards with a high amount of potential (and talent) in Kyle Davis and Scoochie Smith, and what you have is a team that’s more than capable of finishing higher than the predicted seventh in the Atlantic 10. And if Pierre can continue on his current path, he’ll continue to receive individual praise as the season wears on.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)