Dec 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Arizona State will get an immediate boost to its rotation as Michigan State transfer Brandan Kearney is eligible to play for the Sun Devils on Saturday against Texas Tech after sitting out a year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Kearney averaged 2.3 points in 16.9 minutes last season as a sophomore at Michigan State, but opted to transfer last December to find more consistent playing time. The 6-foot-5 junior should give head coach Herb Sendek another body on the wing, as Kearney will compete for minutes with senior starter Shaquielle McKissic and freshman Egor Koulechov.
Doug Haller of AZ Central caught up with Sendek to get his take on how Kearney might fit into the Sun Devils’ plans.
“I don’t think we have any conclusive rotation at this point,” Sendek said of Kearney’s return. “We’re going to try and insert Brandan where we can and just kind of see how his addition affects rotation.”
Kearney was regarded as a three-star prospect coming out of high school, according to Rivals. The Detroit native was also regarded by Rivals as the 127th best player in the class of 2011.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)