Dec 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Arizona State will get an immediate boost to its rotation as Michigan State transfer Brandan Kearney is eligible to play for the Sun Devils on Saturday against Texas Tech after sitting out a year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Kearney averaged 2.3 points in 16.9 minutes last season as a sophomore at Michigan State, but opted to transfer last December to find more consistent playing time. The 6-foot-5 junior should give head coach Herb Sendek another body on the wing, as Kearney will compete for minutes with senior starter Shaquielle McKissic and freshman Egor Koulechov.
Doug Haller of AZ Central caught up with Sendek to get his take on how Kearney might fit into the Sun Devils’ plans.
“I don’t think we have any conclusive rotation at this point,” Sendek said of Kearney’s return. “We’re going to try and insert Brandan where we can and just kind of see how his addition affects rotation.”
Kearney was regarded as a three-star prospect coming out of high school, according to Rivals. The Detroit native was also regarded by Rivals as the 127th best player in the class of 2011.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)