Dec 21, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
After weeks of speculation, Florida officially announced that transfer center Damontre Harris is officially no longer with the team, according to Kevin Brockway of the The Gainsville Sun.
Harris transferred to the Gators from South Carolina after averaging 6.8 points, 5.5 boards and 2.1 blocks as a sophomore, but never suited up for the Gators after being suspended earlier this season.
In a statement from head coach Billy Donovan, the coach noted that Harris was never disrespectful but didn’t earn his way back on to Florida’s roster and he also left the program in good academic standing.
Harris will likely seek a transfer and may do so without restrictions, according to Brockway.
While the loss of Harris will hurt the Gators’ interior depth, this looked like it was inevitable about a month ago and with McDonald’s All-American Chris Walker returning to practice it shouldn’t be the biggest loss for Florida, as they look like a potential title contender going forward without Harris.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)