Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Junior point guard Mike Powell has opted to transfer out of Rhode Island, according to a release from the University.
The Chicago native lost his starting job to Texas Tech transfer Biggie Minnis after starting seven of the first nine games this season as Powell was struggling to produce. Powell averaged 2.6 points in 15 minutes a game this season after averaging 36 minutes last season and averaging 8.9 points and 3.9 assists a game. Powell was also shooting a woeful 27 percent from the field this season.
“We will continue to support Mike as he finishes his academic obligations here at Rhode Island and pursues his future options as a student-athlete. We wish him well in all his future endeavors,” Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley said in a statement.
Although Powell was struggling, Rhode Island could have used him off the bench, as the current roster only has nine healthy players. Sophomore forward Mike Aaman is also out indefinitely for the Rams after he was involved in an alleged assault at a Narragansett home during a house party that left him with an injured eye and head trauma.
In an interesting side note, Powell’s high school backcourt running mate at Brooks High School, George Marshall, opted to transfer out of Wisconsin earlier this month as well.
Powell will have 1.5 years of eligibility remaining after his transfer.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)