Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Junior point guard Mike Powell has opted to transfer out of Rhode Island, according to a release from the University.
The Chicago native lost his starting job to Texas Tech transfer Biggie Minnis after starting seven of the first nine games this season as Powell was struggling to produce. Powell averaged 2.6 points in 15 minutes a game this season after averaging 36 minutes last season and averaging 8.9 points and 3.9 assists a game. Powell was also shooting a woeful 27 percent from the field this season.
“We will continue to support Mike as he finishes his academic obligations here at Rhode Island and pursues his future options as a student-athlete. We wish him well in all his future endeavors,” Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley said in a statement.
Although Powell was struggling, Rhode Island could have used him off the bench, as the current roster only has nine healthy players. Sophomore forward Mike Aaman is also out indefinitely for the Rams after he was involved in an alleged assault at a Narragansett home during a house party that left him with an injured eye and head trauma.
In an interesting side note, Powell’s high school backcourt running mate at Brooks High School, George Marshall, opted to transfer out of Wisconsin earlier this month as well.
Powell will have 1.5 years of eligibility remaining after his transfer.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)