Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Junior point guard Mike Powell has opted to transfer out of Rhode Island, according to a release from the University.
The Chicago native lost his starting job to Texas Tech transfer Biggie Minnis after starting seven of the first nine games this season as Powell was struggling to produce. Powell averaged 2.6 points in 15 minutes a game this season after averaging 36 minutes last season and averaging 8.9 points and 3.9 assists a game. Powell was also shooting a woeful 27 percent from the field this season.
“We will continue to support Mike as he finishes his academic obligations here at Rhode Island and pursues his future options as a student-athlete. We wish him well in all his future endeavors,” Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley said in a statement.
Although Powell was struggling, Rhode Island could have used him off the bench, as the current roster only has nine healthy players. Sophomore forward Mike Aaman is also out indefinitely for the Rams after he was involved in an alleged assault at a Narragansett home during a house party that left him with an injured eye and head trauma.
In an interesting side note, Powell’s high school backcourt running mate at Brooks High School, George Marshall, opted to transfer out of Wisconsin earlier this month as well.
Powell will have 1.5 years of eligibility remaining after his transfer.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)