Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Junior point guard Mike Powell has opted to transfer out of Rhode Island, according to a release from the University.
The Chicago native lost his starting job to Texas Tech transfer Biggie Minnis after starting seven of the first nine games this season as Powell was struggling to produce. Powell averaged 2.6 points in 15 minutes a game this season after averaging 36 minutes last season and averaging 8.9 points and 3.9 assists a game. Powell was also shooting a woeful 27 percent from the field this season.
“We will continue to support Mike as he finishes his academic obligations here at Rhode Island and pursues his future options as a student-athlete. We wish him well in all his future endeavors,” Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley said in a statement.
Although Powell was struggling, Rhode Island could have used him off the bench, as the current roster only has nine healthy players. Sophomore forward Mike Aaman is also out indefinitely for the Rams after he was involved in an alleged assault at a Narragansett home during a house party that left him with an injured eye and head trauma.
In an interesting side note, Powell’s high school backcourt running mate at Brooks High School, George Marshall, opted to transfer out of Wisconsin earlier this month as well.
Powell will have 1.5 years of eligibility remaining after his transfer.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)