Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Junior point guard Mike Powell has opted to transfer out of Rhode Island, according to a release from the University.
The Chicago native lost his starting job to Texas Tech transfer Biggie Minnis after starting seven of the first nine games this season as Powell was struggling to produce. Powell averaged 2.6 points in 15 minutes a game this season after averaging 36 minutes last season and averaging 8.9 points and 3.9 assists a game. Powell was also shooting a woeful 27 percent from the field this season.
“We will continue to support Mike as he finishes his academic obligations here at Rhode Island and pursues his future options as a student-athlete. We wish him well in all his future endeavors,” Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley said in a statement.
Although Powell was struggling, Rhode Island could have used him off the bench, as the current roster only has nine healthy players. Sophomore forward Mike Aaman is also out indefinitely for the Rams after he was involved in an alleged assault at a Narragansett home during a house party that left him with an injured eye and head trauma.
In an interesting side note, Powell’s high school backcourt running mate at Brooks High School, George Marshall, opted to transfer out of Wisconsin earlier this month as well.
Powell will have 1.5 years of eligibility remaining after his transfer.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)