Dec 21, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
VCU got back on track on Saturday afternoon with an 82-52 win over in-state rival Virginia Tech.
This was never a game. VCU used a 31-0 run to open up a 37-8 lead and threw it into cruise controls. Shaka Smart’s squad forced 27 turnovers, but the big news was the play of Melvin Johnson. He went for 27 points and hit eight of VCU’s 12 threes on the night.
The issue for VCU this season has been their ability to score in the half court which stems, in part, from their struggles shooting from the perimeter. They miss Troy Daniels more than people realize. If Johnson can help fill that void, it’s big news for the Rams.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)