Dec 21, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
VCU got back on track on Saturday afternoon with an 82-52 win over in-state rival Virginia Tech.
This was never a game. VCU used a 31-0 run to open up a 37-8 lead and threw it into cruise controls. Shaka Smart’s squad forced 27 turnovers, but the big news was the play of Melvin Johnson. He went for 27 points and hit eight of VCU’s 12 threes on the night.
The issue for VCU this season has been their ability to score in the half court which stems, in part, from their struggles shooting from the perimeter. They miss Troy Daniels more than people realize. If Johnson can help fill that void, it’s big news for the Rams.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)