Dec 21, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
VCU got back on track on Saturday afternoon with an 82-52 win over in-state rival Virginia Tech.
This was never a game. VCU used a 31-0 run to open up a 37-8 lead and threw it into cruise controls. Shaka Smart’s squad forced 27 turnovers, but the big news was the play of Melvin Johnson. He went for 27 points and hit eight of VCU’s 12 threes on the night.
The issue for VCU this season has been their ability to score in the half court which stems, in part, from their struggles shooting from the perimeter. They miss Troy Daniels more than people realize. If Johnson can help fill that void, it’s big news for the Rams.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)