Dec 22, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Just prior to its game at Creighton on Sunday evening, the California basketball program announced that junior guard Ricky Kreklow will miss anywhere from four to six weeks after breaking his right hand. Kreklow, who started four of the Golden Bears’ 11 games prior to Sunday, is averaging 6.4 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
The injury is the second serious injury that Kreklow’s had to deal with since arriving in Berkeley. Kreklow, who began his career at Missouri, played in just nine games last season due to a broken foot. Originally expected to miss 6-8 weeks due to that injury, Kreklow suffered multiple setbacks in the recovery process.
But after undergoing surgery in October to have a screw put in the bone, Kreklow suffered setbacks on three occasions. The last time, on Jan. 3 at UCLA, he landed on someone else’s foot and re-cracked a bone in his foot.
“I didn’t know what was to come of that, I just knew it wasn’t good because it was already pretty fragile,” Kreklow said. “The screw prevented the bone from breaking all the way.”
Kreklow, who had started the last two games for the Golden Bears, was replaced in the starting lineup by freshman Jabari Bird, who entered Sunday’s game averaging 11.9 points per game with eight starts. Bird suffered a right ankle injury late in the first half against Creighton.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)