Dec 23, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
For the second straight week, the top seven teams in the country are exactly the same.
In fact, the only team from last week’s top 15 that lost this past week was UConn, who is now No. 15 in the country. That much likely won’t change next week, either, as only six teams in the top 25 will be challenged this week. No. 23 Missouri is at N.C. State). No. 18 Iowa State is out in Diamond Head Classic.
There’s the whole Syracuse-Villanova and Louisville-Kentucky double-header on Saturday, but those are just two games.
Anyone else ready for conference play to begin?
1. Arizona (12-0, LW: No. 1): Arizona’s only game this past week was a blowout win over Southern in the McKale Center. The Wildcats are the most balanced and versatile team in the country, but they need Gabe York to wake up. His last eight games: 4.5 points, 26.8% FG, 8-for-25 3’s.
2. Syracuse (11-0, LW: No. 2): Friday’s blowout win over High Point isn’t going to blow anyone away. I know much has been written about Tyler Ennis this season, but here’s something for you: Ennis is the best point guard in the country. Too much? Well, he’s averaging 12.1 points, 5.4 assists and 2.8 steals while turning it over 13 times in 11 games and shooting 43.5% from three.
3. Wisconsin (12-0, LW: No. 3): The Badgers didn’t play last week, but that doesn’t change the fact that Bo Ryan’s club is, right now, the best team in the Big Ten.
4. Ohio State (12-0, LW: No. 4): The Buckeyes managed to avoid a loss against Notre Dame on Saturday, but OSU’s flaw was exposed. They’re not a good team on the offensive end of the floor. Their defense will never let them get blown out, but when you need to rely on the streaky LaQuinton Ross as much as Ohio State does, it makes them primed for an upset.
5. Louisville (11-1, LW: No. 5): Much like they did after losing three in a row last January, the Cardinals are flying under the radar again this season. Russ Smith is a much-improved distributor. They’ll get a chance to prove it on Saturday at Kentucky.
6. Michigan State (10-1, LW: No. 6): The Spartans went into Texas and whipped up on the Longhorns in a game where Keith Appling struggled, Gary Harris was hobbled by his ankle injury and Matt Costello didn’t play. Adreian Payne was dominant.
7. Duke (9-2, LW: No. 7): The Blue Devils picked up an impressive win over UCLA on Thursday night in the Garden, one highlighted by the return to relevance of sophomore guard Rasheed Sulaimon.
8. Florida (9-2, LW: No. 8): The Gators picked up an impressive win on Tuesday night in Madison Square Garden over Memphis. At full strength, this is one of the nation’s best teams.
9. Oklahoma State (11-1, Lw: No. 9): Markel Brown busted out of his mini-slump as the Pokes knocked off Colorado out in Vegas. Brown went for 23 points and 11 boards.
10. Villanova (11-0, LW: No. 10): The Wildcats will square off with Syracuse on Saturday at the Carrier Dome is what could end up being the best game in the month of December. I’m ready.
11. Wichita State (12-0, LW: No. 12)
12. Oregon (11-0, LW: No. 13)
13. Kansas (8-3, LW: No. 15)
14. Baylor (10-1, LW: No. 14)
15. UConn (10-1, LW: No. 11)
16. Kentucky (9-3, LW: No. 17)
17. Memphis (8-2, LW: No. 18)
18. Iowa State (9-0, LW: No. 19)
19. Iowa (11-2, LW: No. 20)
20. North Carolina (8-3, LW: No. 16)
21. San Diego State (9-1, LW: No. 23)
22. Illinois (10-2, LW: NR)
23. Missouri (10-1, LW: NR)
24. Colorado (10-2, LW: No. 24)
25. UMass (10-1, LW: No. 22)
Sep 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
De’Aaron Fox is one to watch in the 2016 class.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Purdue is offering to sell old game films using a company that hopes to do the same with over 600 colleges.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Florida State added a big man in 2015 to go along with its three talented perimeter threats.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Wolfpack have some new threads for the upcoming season.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Creighton picked up a point guard in the 2015 class on Monday.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit
Sep 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
The image places alongside a column on the recent USA Basketball debate caused an uproar in the Bluegrass State.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings’ young team will play away from Nashville three times before the start of SEC play, with two of those games being played on a neutral court.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The St. Anthony product is a valuable recruit for each of the remaining schools, as they all have the eventual loss of current seniors to account for.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Having landed commitments from three forwards, the Flyers added a piece for their backcourt on Monday.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Simeon HS forward officially visited Nebraska this weekend, and both of his parents attended the school as well.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Fans have three different designs from which to choose, with the winning option scheduled to be revealed next Monday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers, who won 25 games last season, landed their first commitment in the Class of 2015 Sunday night.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
With both Pierria Henry and Terrence Williams being seniors, Charlotte needed to add a perimeter player in 2015.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
URI head coach Dan Hurley landed his second 2015 commitment Sunday evening.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Danny Manning finally has his first 2015 commitment and the player’s a very important one with regard to the future of the program.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The Vikings have added some depth to their front court for the 2015-16 season.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
The Shockers won’t lack for capable leaders this season, and their newcomers have followed the lead of those veterans in the weight room.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
A good read on Colorado State’s new senior transfer, Antwan Scott, overcoming family obstacles while still succeeding on the court.
Sep 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Washington State picked up a commitment from a 2015 forward on Sunday.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)