Dec 23, 2013, 3:30 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: USC 79, Dayton 76
A Pe’Shon Howard off-balance three-pointer as time expired gave the Trojans the win at UD Arena, moving Andy Enfield’s team to 8-4 on the season. Byron Wesley accounted for 26 points and ten rebounds for USC, with Jordan Sibert leading the way for Dayton with 21 points.
1) South Carolina 78, Saint Mary’s 71: This is a big result for Frank Martin as his young team looks to mesh with the start of SEC play approaching. Tyrone Johnson led the way for the Gamecocks with 16 points on the night, while Brad Waldow scored 20 to lead Saint Mary’s. Also of note: this was the first loss of the season for the Gaels.
2) Creighton 68, California 64: The Bluejays got off to a slow start against Cal, but their defensive work stood out with Cal losing Jabari Bird late in the first half with an ankle injury. Doug McDermott finished with 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead the way for Creihgton.
3) Purdue 73, West Virginia: Matt Painter’s young Boilermakers picked up a needed win in Morgantown, with Terone Johnson accounting for 20 points and six rebounds. Freshman forward Devin Willliams scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in a losing effort for West Virginia.
1) R.J. Hunter (Georgia State) : 41 points (14-for-21 FG), three rebounds and three blocks in the Panthers’ 99-68 win over UTSA.
2) Larry Nance Jr. (Wyoming): 29 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks in Wyoming’s 72-59 win over Northern Colorado.
3) R.J. Price (Radford): 30 points (6-for-9 3PT), six assists, four rebounds and three steals in the Highlanders’ 94-78 win over Sacred Heart.
1) Brown shot just 31.7% in their 58-52 loss at Northwestern, essentially leaving a win on the table in Evanston.
2) Tyrone Garland (La Salle): Shot 1-for-7 from the field in a 71-58 loss at Miami.
3) Cornell shot 6-for-31 from three in their 76-54 loss at Stony Brook, dropping to 0-11 on the season.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25:
- No. 10 UConn 82, Washington 70
- No. 11 Wichita State 77, North Carolina Central 66
- No. 12 Baylor 81, Southern 56
- No. 17 Iowa State 79, George Mason 67
- No. 25 Iowa 86, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 61
- Maurice Ndour accounted for 19 points and seven rebounds, and Nick Kellogg hit a three with 7.8 seconds remaining to give Ohio a 70-69 overtime win at Richmond.
- Myles Mack’s three-pointer with 3.5 seconds remaining gave Rutgers the 75-72 win over Army. Kyle Wilson scored 29 points to lead the Black Knights.
- John Johnson scored 20 points off the bench in Penn State’s 92-82 win over Mount St. Mary’s. SMU transfer Jordan Dickerson played eight minutes in his Penn State debut.
- KT Harrell scored 29 points to help lead Auburn to a 77-67 win over Boston College.
- Langston Hall’s three-pointer with two seconds remaining was the difference in Mercer’s 79-76 win at Ole Miss.
- Demetrius Treadwell tallied 24 points and ten rebounds in Akron’s 83-71 win over Oregon State. President Barack Obama and his family were in attendance.
- Fred Thomas led five Mississippi State players in double figures with 14 points as the Bulldogs beat USF 71-66.
- Anthony Drmic scored 21 points on the night, and his three-pointer with less than a minute to go proved to be the difference in Boise State’s 62-61 win over Hawaii.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)