Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The news for Notre Dame basketball went from bad to worse on Monday afternoon as it was reported by Scout.com’s Ben Weixlmann that sophomore wing Cam Biedscheid will transfer from the school.
This transfer comes after Sunday’s news that guard Jerian Grant will miss the rest of the season due to an academic matter.
Biedscheid, a native of St. Louis, is currently redshirting during his sophomore season at Notre Dame to improve academically and athletically after a freshman season in which the 6-foot-7 wing averaged 6.2 points in 17 minutes per game. The decision to redshirt was made by Brey and Biedscheid back in the fall in-part after Biedscheid spoke to Jerian Grant — who also used a redshirt year at Notre Dame — and Grant mentioned the benefits of sitting out a year to Cam.
“I talked to (Grant) for a pretty long time one weekend, and he was just telling me how it really helped him and how it really benefitted his game and his academics. That definitely pushed me toward making this decision,” Biedscheid said to the AP in November.
“If I would have played this year, I would have gotten plenty of playing time. I just felt like taking this year off would benefit me, strength-wise, skill-wise and academic-wise, and I need growth in all those areas.”
Although the loss of Biedscheid won’t change anything with Notre Dame this season, it does hurt the Irish going forward. Biedscheid would have helped as an additional practice body this season and he does have the potential to be a good wing shooter going forward.
Biedscheid was regarded as the No. 28 overall prospect in Rivals’ 2014 class and was a four-star prospect.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)