Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
The news for Notre Dame basketball went from bad to worse on Monday afternoon as it was reported by Scout.com’s Ben Weixlmann that sophomore wing Cam Biedscheid will transfer from the school.
This transfer comes after Sunday’s news that guard Jerian Grant will miss the rest of the season due to an academic matter.
Biedscheid, a native of St. Louis, is currently redshirting during his sophomore season at Notre Dame to improve academically and athletically after a freshman season in which the 6-foot-7 wing averaged 6.2 points in 17 minutes per game. The decision to redshirt was made by Brey and Biedscheid back in the fall in-part after Biedscheid spoke to Jerian Grant — who also used a redshirt year at Notre Dame — and Grant mentioned the benefits of sitting out a year to Cam.
“I talked to (Grant) for a pretty long time one weekend, and he was just telling me how it really helped him and how it really benefitted his game and his academics. That definitely pushed me toward making this decision,” Biedscheid said to the AP in November.
“If I would have played this year, I would have gotten plenty of playing time. I just felt like taking this year off would benefit me, strength-wise, skill-wise and academic-wise, and I need growth in all those areas.”
Although the loss of Biedscheid won’t change anything with Notre Dame this season, it does hurt the Irish going forward. Biedscheid would have helped as an additional practice body this season and he does have the potential to be a good wing shooter going forward.
Biedscheid was regarded as the No. 28 overall prospect in Rivals’ 2014 class and was a four-star prospect.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)