Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The news for Notre Dame basketball went from bad to worse on Monday afternoon as it was reported by Scout.com’s Ben Weixlmann that sophomore wing Cam Biedscheid will transfer from the school.
This transfer comes after Sunday’s news that guard Jerian Grant will miss the rest of the season due to an academic matter.
Biedscheid, a native of St. Louis, is currently redshirting during his sophomore season at Notre Dame to improve academically and athletically after a freshman season in which the 6-foot-7 wing averaged 6.2 points in 17 minutes per game. The decision to redshirt was made by Brey and Biedscheid back in the fall in-part after Biedscheid spoke to Jerian Grant — who also used a redshirt year at Notre Dame — and Grant mentioned the benefits of sitting out a year to Cam.
“I talked to (Grant) for a pretty long time one weekend, and he was just telling me how it really helped him and how it really benefitted his game and his academics. That definitely pushed me toward making this decision,” Biedscheid said to the AP in November.
“If I would have played this year, I would have gotten plenty of playing time. I just felt like taking this year off would benefit me, strength-wise, skill-wise and academic-wise, and I need growth in all those areas.”
Although the loss of Biedscheid won’t change anything with Notre Dame this season, it does hurt the Irish going forward. Biedscheid would have helped as an additional practice body this season and he does have the potential to be a good wing shooter going forward.
Biedscheid was regarded as the No. 28 overall prospect in Rivals’ 2014 class and was a four-star prospect.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)