Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The news for Notre Dame basketball went from bad to worse on Monday afternoon as it was reported by Scout.com’s Ben Weixlmann that sophomore wing Cam Biedscheid will transfer from the school.
This transfer comes after Sunday’s news that guard Jerian Grant will miss the rest of the season due to an academic matter.
Biedscheid, a native of St. Louis, is currently redshirting during his sophomore season at Notre Dame to improve academically and athletically after a freshman season in which the 6-foot-7 wing averaged 6.2 points in 17 minutes per game. The decision to redshirt was made by Brey and Biedscheid back in the fall in-part after Biedscheid spoke to Jerian Grant — who also used a redshirt year at Notre Dame — and Grant mentioned the benefits of sitting out a year to Cam.
“I talked to (Grant) for a pretty long time one weekend, and he was just telling me how it really helped him and how it really benefitted his game and his academics. That definitely pushed me toward making this decision,” Biedscheid said to the AP in November.
“If I would have played this year, I would have gotten plenty of playing time. I just felt like taking this year off would benefit me, strength-wise, skill-wise and academic-wise, and I need growth in all those areas.”
Although the loss of Biedscheid won’t change anything with Notre Dame this season, it does hurt the Irish going forward. Biedscheid would have helped as an additional practice body this season and he does have the potential to be a good wing shooter going forward.
Biedscheid was regarded as the No. 28 overall prospect in Rivals’ 2014 class and was a four-star prospect.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
May 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The last two decades were a special time for the Donovan family, who thanked the supporters who helped make it all possible.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 21
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (22)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)