Dec 23, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Tortured by failures, former UConn player tries to bounce back (Hartford Courant)
The college career of in-state product Doug Wiggins didn’t go as well as either he or UConn envisioned when he arrived on campus. He’d end up transferring, with the result being a winding journey that he just recently emerged from with an eye towards the future. And he’s also reconnected with UConn, a move that had been long overdue.
Classic collapses in recent college basketball history (CBS Sports)
In light of Notre Dame’s stunning loss to No. 3 Ohio State on Saturday night, CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander compiled a list of collapses over the last decade.
Whole new game for Gabrielle Ludwig (ESPNW)
52-year old Gabrielle Ludwig made news last season as a transgender athlete playing basketball at Mission College in Santa Clara, Calif. Now in her second year at the school, Ludwig’s playing 34 minutes and averaging 17 points and 18 rebounds per game. Ludwig’s in better physical condition, and she’s better equipped to handle the attention as well.
A blind student’s unique place in college hoops (Indianapolis Star)
Evansville senior Bryce Weiler has built up quite the list of contacts within the game of basketball over the years, including Brad Stevens and Rick Pitino. And in addition to this he’s also done work writing about college basketball, called games on the radio and even sits on the Evansville bench for home games.
UConn, Notre Dame women renew series for two years (Connecticut Post)
In recent years the UConn-Notre Dame series has been arguably the best rivalry in women’s college basketball. Thanks to conference realignment the two programs won’t play this season, but they will resume playing beginning with a game in South Bend next season.
Marcus Lee’s brother says transfer scuttlebutt is off base (Lexington Herald-Leader)
With a lack of playing time recently, Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee hasn’t been on the floor as often as many expected prior to the start of the season. With that being the case some started to wonder if he would consider transferring, but his brother dismissed that chatter over the weekend.
Longtime college hoops ref Ed Hightower hangs up his whistle (Des Moines Register)
After spending 36 years in the game of basketball as an official, Ed Hightower worked his final game on Sunday.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)