Dec 24, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Saint Mary’s was the WCC’s last hope.
The Gaels entered the Diamond Head Classic undefeated with a win at Boise State on their resume. That’s not exactly a season-changing win, but it’s good enough that it would have gotten Randy Bennett’s club into the NCAA tournament conversation had they taken care of business in Hawaii.
Saint Mary’s has already lost their first two games out on the islands, losing to both South Carolina and Hawaii, neither of which can be looked at as a quality loss. Making matters worse is that instead of potentially getting a chance to play Iowa State in the title game, the Gaels will be taking on George Mason. Again, that’s not the kind of game that will boost a team’s resume.
That bad news for Saint Mary’s, but it’s really bad news for the WCC as a whole.
Because neither Gonzaga nor BYU did enough damage in the non-conference.
Gonzaga is in the same boat as Saint Mary’s. They lost in the first round of the Maui Invitational to Dayton, slotting them in the loser’s bracket. Instead of getting a chance to beat the likes of Baylor, Cal and Syracuse, the Zags took on Chaminade and Arkansas. Throw in a loss at Kansas State, and all of a sudden Gonzaga will likely need to win at Memphis if they want any chance at earning an at-large bid.
BYU at least has played a strong schedule. They have wins over Weber State, Texas, Utah State and at Stanford, all of whom could feasibly wind up in the NIT. The losses to the likes of Wichita State, Oregon, Iowa State, UMass and Utah hurt. Even going just 1-4 in that stretch would have been incredibly beneficial.
That’s not to say these three teams aren’t good enough to win a game or two in the tournament. The issue is that there may not be enough meat on their resume to get them picked over some other bubble teams simply because there aren’t many quality wins to be had in WCC play.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)