Dec 24, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Santa Clara 66, South Florida 65
The Broncos came back from a nine-point deficit with five minutes remaining to knock off South Florida in the Las Vegas Classic. Freshman guard Jared Brownridge came up big for Santa Clara, knocking in the game-winning two free throws with 10 seconds left and also knocking in a go-ahead three-pointer with 53 seconds left on his way to 10 points — all in the second half.
South Florida dropped its second game in a row — by a combined total of six points — as Anthony Collins missed his second consecutive game with a left knee injury. Victor Rudd played and scored 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds for the Bulls but was slowed by a dislocated finger and shot poorly, going 6-for-17 from the field.
1) No. 14 Iowa State 83, Akron 60
In the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic, the No. 14 Cyclones had a big second-half effort to reach 10-0 on the season, matching the best start in school history. Akron stayed with Iowa State in the first half before the Cyclones had a big offensive outburst in the second half, going for 46 points on 55 percent shooting as sophomore Georges Niang scored 15 of his game-high 22 points. The Cyclones now advance to the finals to face Boise State.
2) Oregon State 58, George Mason 54
Despite missing starting center Angus Brandt, who injured his leg in Oregon State’s loss to Akron on Sunday, the Beavers rallied to beat George Mason in the final minutes in the consolation round of the Diamond Head Classic. Beating George Mason isn’t entirely impressive for a Pac-12 team, but it was a solid bounce-back effort for Oregon State after a loss the day before and the Beavers showed resiliency in the second half by rallying from a deficit and holding a tight lead in the final two minutes. Roberto Nelson scored eight of his 17 points in the final minute as the senior knocked in a big shot clock-beating jumper with 41 seconds remaining before going a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line in the last 30 seconds of the game.
3) UNLV 82, Mississippi State 66
The Runnin’ Rebels struggled to a sluggish 3-4 start out of the gate, but Dave Rice’s bunch has rebounded nicely for five straight wins after the win over Mississippi State at the Las Vegas Classic on Monday night. UNLV jumped out to a 42-24 halftime lead and never looked back against the Bulldogs. Roscoe Smith’s double-double of 12 points and 12 rebounds led a balanced Rebels effort that saw 10 different players score and eight different players contribute an assist.
1) Radford’s Javonte Green had 25 points and found teammate Kyle Noreen for the game-winning three-pointer with 17 seconds remaining as the Highlanders beat Florida Gulf Coast 64-63.
2) Cincinnati had three players finish with double-doubles during its 102-62 win over Chicago State as Jermaine Sanders (14 points, 13 rebounds), Justin Jackson (19 points and 13 rebounds) and Sean Kilpatrick (21 points, 10 rebounds) all contributed in the Bearcats’ win.
3) Boise State’s Anthony Drmic went for 30 points in the Broncos’ 80-54 win over South Carolina in the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic. Boise State advances to face No. 14 Iowa State in the championship game.
1) Loyola (IL) lost to Fordham 83-69 despite holding a nine-point halftime lead. The Ramblers have now lost after holding halftime leads of nine, 12, 14 and 15 this season while also losing two more games in overtime.
2) South Carolina State had a hard time knocking down shots as the Bulldogs shot 32 percent from the field and 18 percent from the three-point line as South Carolina State fell to Jacksonville 61-47.
3) IUPUI held a 13-point second-half lead over Southeast Missouri State before blowing the lead and falling in overtime 83-79. The Jaguars also held a six-point lead with two minutes left in regulation, but failed to score to put the game into overtime.
TOP 25 SCORES
- No. 1 Arizona 77, Northern Arizona 44
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)