Dec 24, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: Santa Clara 66, South Florida 65
The Broncos came back from a nine-point deficit with five minutes remaining to knock off South Florida in the Las Vegas Classic. Freshman guard Jared Brownridge came up big for Santa Clara, knocking in the game-winning two free throws with 10 seconds left and also knocking in a go-ahead three-pointer with 53 seconds left on his way to 10 points — all in the second half.
South Florida dropped its second game in a row — by a combined total of six points — as Anthony Collins missed his second consecutive game with a left knee injury. Victor Rudd played and scored 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds for the Bulls but was slowed by a dislocated finger and shot poorly, going 6-for-17 from the field.
1) No. 14 Iowa State 83, Akron 60
In the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic, the No. 14 Cyclones had a big second-half effort to reach 10-0 on the season, matching the best start in school history. Akron stayed with Iowa State in the first half before the Cyclones had a big offensive outburst in the second half, going for 46 points on 55 percent shooting as sophomore Georges Niang scored 15 of his game-high 22 points. The Cyclones now advance to the finals to face Boise State.
2) Oregon State 58, George Mason 54
Despite missing starting center Angus Brandt, who injured his leg in Oregon State’s loss to Akron on Sunday, the Beavers rallied to beat George Mason in the final minutes in the consolation round of the Diamond Head Classic. Beating George Mason isn’t entirely impressive for a Pac-12 team, but it was a solid bounce-back effort for Oregon State after a loss the day before and the Beavers showed resiliency in the second half by rallying from a deficit and holding a tight lead in the final two minutes. Roberto Nelson scored eight of his 17 points in the final minute as the senior knocked in a big shot clock-beating jumper with 41 seconds remaining before going a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line in the last 30 seconds of the game.
3) UNLV 82, Mississippi State 66
The Runnin’ Rebels struggled to a sluggish 3-4 start out of the gate, but Dave Rice’s bunch has rebounded nicely for five straight wins after the win over Mississippi State at the Las Vegas Classic on Monday night. UNLV jumped out to a 42-24 halftime lead and never looked back against the Bulldogs. Roscoe Smith’s double-double of 12 points and 12 rebounds led a balanced Rebels effort that saw 10 different players score and eight different players contribute an assist.
1) Radford’s Javonte Green had 25 points and found teammate Kyle Noreen for the game-winning three-pointer with 17 seconds remaining as the Highlanders beat Florida Gulf Coast 64-63.
2) Cincinnati had three players finish with double-doubles during its 102-62 win over Chicago State as Jermaine Sanders (14 points, 13 rebounds), Justin Jackson (19 points and 13 rebounds) and Sean Kilpatrick (21 points, 10 rebounds) all contributed in the Bearcats’ win.
3) Boise State’s Anthony Drmic went for 30 points in the Broncos’ 80-54 win over South Carolina in the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic. Boise State advances to face No. 14 Iowa State in the championship game.
1) Loyola (IL) lost to Fordham 83-69 despite holding a nine-point halftime lead. The Ramblers have now lost after holding halftime leads of nine, 12, 14 and 15 this season while also losing two more games in overtime.
2) South Carolina State had a hard time knocking down shots as the Bulldogs shot 32 percent from the field and 18 percent from the three-point line as South Carolina State fell to Jacksonville 61-47.
3) IUPUI held a 13-point second-half lead over Southeast Missouri State before blowing the lead and falling in overtime 83-79. The Jaguars also held a six-point lead with two minutes left in regulation, but failed to score to put the game into overtime.
TOP 25 SCORES
- No. 1 Arizona 77, Northern Arizona 44
Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
D’Angelo Russell scored 28 to lead the Buckeyes, but none of his points were wilder than the two scored by Thompson on this play.
Mar 4, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
All of Wednesday’s relevant bubble info can be found right here.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
Kentucky head coach John Calipari is one of 15 coaches still in contention for this honor.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Kaminsky is one of five seniors on the list, and Gonzaga is the only program with two representatives.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
With the higher seeds hosting in the first three rounds of the Postseason NIT, the four one-seeds could potentially not leave campus before the semifinals at Madison Square Garden.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
The most recent title odds from Bovada.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
There are a lot of big bubbles games tonight.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
These are the small league favorites that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Hank Gathers died on the court during the WCC tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:42 AM EST
Perry Ellis suffered a nasty looking knee injury last night.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
I’ve never seen this happen before.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Justin Anderson has been out for more than three weeks after fracturing a finger.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Two strong teams enter the Valley Conference Tournament with numerous others trying to enter the frame.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EST
Georgetown and Iowa earn big road wins.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
All of Tuesday’s bubble action, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cincinnati could be losing an experienced guard for next season.
Jahlil Okafor, D’Angelo Russell among 10 finalists for Wayman Tisdale Award as nation’s best freshman
Mar 3, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
A lot of productive players on the Wayman Tisdale Award finalist list, led by Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 0
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)