Dec 24, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Santa Clara 66, South Florida 65
The Broncos came back from a nine-point deficit with five minutes remaining to knock off South Florida in the Las Vegas Classic. Freshman guard Jared Brownridge came up big for Santa Clara, knocking in the game-winning two free throws with 10 seconds left and also knocking in a go-ahead three-pointer with 53 seconds left on his way to 10 points — all in the second half.
South Florida dropped its second game in a row — by a combined total of six points — as Anthony Collins missed his second consecutive game with a left knee injury. Victor Rudd played and scored 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds for the Bulls but was slowed by a dislocated finger and shot poorly, going 6-for-17 from the field.
1) No. 14 Iowa State 83, Akron 60
In the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic, the No. 14 Cyclones had a big second-half effort to reach 10-0 on the season, matching the best start in school history. Akron stayed with Iowa State in the first half before the Cyclones had a big offensive outburst in the second half, going for 46 points on 55 percent shooting as sophomore Georges Niang scored 15 of his game-high 22 points. The Cyclones now advance to the finals to face Boise State.
2) Oregon State 58, George Mason 54
Despite missing starting center Angus Brandt, who injured his leg in Oregon State’s loss to Akron on Sunday, the Beavers rallied to beat George Mason in the final minutes in the consolation round of the Diamond Head Classic. Beating George Mason isn’t entirely impressive for a Pac-12 team, but it was a solid bounce-back effort for Oregon State after a loss the day before and the Beavers showed resiliency in the second half by rallying from a deficit and holding a tight lead in the final two minutes. Roberto Nelson scored eight of his 17 points in the final minute as the senior knocked in a big shot clock-beating jumper with 41 seconds remaining before going a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line in the last 30 seconds of the game.
3) UNLV 82, Mississippi State 66
The Runnin’ Rebels struggled to a sluggish 3-4 start out of the gate, but Dave Rice’s bunch has rebounded nicely for five straight wins after the win over Mississippi State at the Las Vegas Classic on Monday night. UNLV jumped out to a 42-24 halftime lead and never looked back against the Bulldogs. Roscoe Smith’s double-double of 12 points and 12 rebounds led a balanced Rebels effort that saw 10 different players score and eight different players contribute an assist.
1) Radford’s Javonte Green had 25 points and found teammate Kyle Noreen for the game-winning three-pointer with 17 seconds remaining as the Highlanders beat Florida Gulf Coast 64-63.
2) Cincinnati had three players finish with double-doubles during its 102-62 win over Chicago State as Jermaine Sanders (14 points, 13 rebounds), Justin Jackson (19 points and 13 rebounds) and Sean Kilpatrick (21 points, 10 rebounds) all contributed in the Bearcats’ win.
3) Boise State’s Anthony Drmic went for 30 points in the Broncos’ 80-54 win over South Carolina in the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic. Boise State advances to face No. 14 Iowa State in the championship game.
1) Loyola (IL) lost to Fordham 83-69 despite holding a nine-point halftime lead. The Ramblers have now lost after holding halftime leads of nine, 12, 14 and 15 this season while also losing two more games in overtime.
2) South Carolina State had a hard time knocking down shots as the Bulldogs shot 32 percent from the field and 18 percent from the three-point line as South Carolina State fell to Jacksonville 61-47.
3) IUPUI held a 13-point second-half lead over Southeast Missouri State before blowing the lead and falling in overtime 83-79. The Jaguars also held a six-point lead with two minutes left in regulation, but failed to score to put the game into overtime.
TOP 25 SCORES
- No. 1 Arizona 77, Northern Arizona 44
Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
2015 guard Eric Davis had a strong summer and is one of the better guards in the country.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Louisville is updating its floor with the move to the ACC.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Auburn made a recruiting move on Friday night with the addition of Danjel Purifoy.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Missouri has a fair amount of quality teams on its non-conference schedule.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
An Oregon State incoming guard is improving in the hospital after collapsing earlier in the week.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
College Basketball Talk’s recruiting column explores the week’s topics.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Dominic Woodson is now officially a Tennessee Volunteer.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Aaron Brown averaged 9.9 points per game and shot 39 percent from three last season, and he’ll be eligible to play immediately.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Having stated their intention of appealing the ruling in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit, the NCAA filed a notice of appeal on Thursday.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Five-star center Tyler Davis becomes Texas A&M’s first commitment, and he’s an important addition for Billy Kennedy.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Austin Hatch, who saw his first action in a Michigan uniform on Saturday, discussed his return to the court on The Today Show.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Upon completion, Hinkle Fieldhouse will have a brand new look while preserving the building’s storied past.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The conference tournament will now span five days, with there being a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11 (11 seed vs. 14 seed, 12 seed vs. 13 seed).
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)