Dec 26, 2013, 8:11 PM EST
Late in the first half of Gonzaga’s 72-62 loss to Kansas State last Saturday, senior center Sam Dower took a hard fall and left the game with a lower back injury. And while Dower stated following Thursday’s practice (he only did some light shooting) that he feels better now, Gonzaga’s starting big man will be a game-time decision for their WCC opener against Santa Clara according to head coach Mark Few.
“The day of the game we’ll figure out what’s going on. So much can be done between now and then. You’ve all had back situations so you know they are tricky. He’s a tough guy when it comes to injuries, so we’ll see,” Few said according to the school.
Through 12 games Dower’s averaging 13.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per contest, shooting 61.1% from the field and 83.8% from the foul line. With the departures of Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk, Dower’s minutes have increased some nine minutes per game (from 16.0 mpg last season to 25.1) and he’s taken advantage of the opportunities.
If Dower were unable to go the Bulldogs would lose some depth in the front court, but against the Wildcats 6-foot-5 guard Kyle Dranginis supplied eight points and five rebounds in 31 minutes of action. And Przemek Karnowski, who accounted for ten points and seven rebounds against K-State, would become even more important for the Bulldogs. In Santa Clara, Gonzaga faces a team that ranks sixth in the WCC in defensive rebounding percentage.
Louisville transfer Angel Nunez, who became eligible last Saturday, did not see any action against Kansas State.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)