Dec 26, 2013, 8:11 PM EST
Late in the first half of Gonzaga’s 72-62 loss to Kansas State last Saturday, senior center Sam Dower took a hard fall and left the game with a lower back injury. And while Dower stated following Thursday’s practice (he only did some light shooting) that he feels better now, Gonzaga’s starting big man will be a game-time decision for their WCC opener against Santa Clara according to head coach Mark Few.
“The day of the game we’ll figure out what’s going on. So much can be done between now and then. You’ve all had back situations so you know they are tricky. He’s a tough guy when it comes to injuries, so we’ll see,” Few said according to the school.
Through 12 games Dower’s averaging 13.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per contest, shooting 61.1% from the field and 83.8% from the foul line. With the departures of Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk, Dower’s minutes have increased some nine minutes per game (from 16.0 mpg last season to 25.1) and he’s taken advantage of the opportunities.
If Dower were unable to go the Bulldogs would lose some depth in the front court, but against the Wildcats 6-foot-5 guard Kyle Dranginis supplied eight points and five rebounds in 31 minutes of action. And Przemek Karnowski, who accounted for ten points and seven rebounds against K-State, would become even more important for the Bulldogs. In Santa Clara, Gonzaga faces a team that ranks sixth in the WCC in defensive rebounding percentage.
Louisville transfer Angel Nunez, who became eligible last Saturday, did not see any action against Kansas State.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)