Dec 27, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Demetrius Walker and Jeff Lowery have both been dismissed from Grand Canyon’s basketball team for a “violation of team rules,” head coach Dan Majerle announced on Friday.
Majerle wouldn’t go into details for the dismissal, leaving it at: “It’s very disappointing for everyone involved, but our program remains committed to performing to the best of our ability.”
Walker, who is a graduate student and eligible to play for just this season at Grand Canyon, is their best player. He is averaging 16.9 points and pulling down 5.6 rebounds. If Walker’s name sounds familiar that’s because he played for New Mexico the prior two seasons, and then for Arizona State for the 2009-10 season.
Walker’s problems have clearly continued to follow him. Last season, prior to the start of the Mountain West conference tournament, Walker was suspended by Steve Alford at New Mexico. That suspension ultimately led to Walker leaving the program. Because he had already graduated from New Mexico, Walker was able to play at Grand Canyon without having to sit out a season.
Along with Walker and Lowery being dismissed from the program, Justin Foreman has been suspended indefinitely. Lowery has seldom played this season due to a foot injury, but played in 31 games last season and saw better than 10 minutes of action per game.
Foreman, however, is another grave loss for the immediate future. The 6-foot-6 guard is averaging 7.2 points and 3.6 rebounds in 25.3 minutes. There is no timetable for his suspension to be lifted.
In their first season as Division I program competing in the WAC, Grand Canyon has been competitive. They are 5-6, although three of those wins have come against sub-D1 competition, yet they have had close losses against New Mexico, Tulsa, and Loyola Marymount.
Grand Canyon has one more non-conference game remaining at Chattanooga before WAC play begins.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)