Dec 27, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Demetrius Walker and Jeff Lowery have both been dismissed from Grand Canyon’s basketball team for a “violation of team rules,” head coach Dan Majerle announced on Friday.
Majerle wouldn’t go into details for the dismissal, leaving it at: “It’s very disappointing for everyone involved, but our program remains committed to performing to the best of our ability.”
Walker, who is a graduate student and eligible to play for just this season at Grand Canyon, is their best player. He is averaging 16.9 points and pulling down 5.6 rebounds. If Walker’s name sounds familiar that’s because he played for New Mexico the prior two seasons, and then for Arizona State for the 2009-10 season.
Walker’s problems have clearly continued to follow him. Last season, prior to the start of the Mountain West conference tournament, Walker was suspended by Steve Alford at New Mexico. That suspension ultimately led to Walker leaving the program. Because he had already graduated from New Mexico, Walker was able to play at Grand Canyon without having to sit out a season.
Along with Walker and Lowery being dismissed from the program, Justin Foreman has been suspended indefinitely. Lowery has seldom played this season due to a foot injury, but played in 31 games last season and saw better than 10 minutes of action per game.
Foreman, however, is another grave loss for the immediate future. The 6-foot-6 guard is averaging 7.2 points and 3.6 rebounds in 25.3 minutes. There is no timetable for his suspension to be lifted.
In their first season as Division I program competing in the WAC, Grand Canyon has been competitive. They are 5-6, although three of those wins have come against sub-D1 competition, yet they have had close losses against New Mexico, Tulsa, and Loyola Marymount.
Grand Canyon has one more non-conference game remaining at Chattanooga before WAC play begins.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)