Dec 27, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Demetrius Walker and Jeff Lowery have both been dismissed from Grand Canyon’s basketball team for a “violation of team rules,” head coach Dan Majerle announced on Friday.
Majerle wouldn’t go into details for the dismissal, leaving it at: “It’s very disappointing for everyone involved, but our program remains committed to performing to the best of our ability.”
Walker, who is a graduate student and eligible to play for just this season at Grand Canyon, is their best player. He is averaging 16.9 points and pulling down 5.6 rebounds. If Walker’s name sounds familiar that’s because he played for New Mexico the prior two seasons, and then for Arizona State for the 2009-10 season.
Walker’s problems have clearly continued to follow him. Last season, prior to the start of the Mountain West conference tournament, Walker was suspended by Steve Alford at New Mexico. That suspension ultimately led to Walker leaving the program. Because he had already graduated from New Mexico, Walker was able to play at Grand Canyon without having to sit out a season.
Along with Walker and Lowery being dismissed from the program, Justin Foreman has been suspended indefinitely. Lowery has seldom played this season due to a foot injury, but played in 31 games last season and saw better than 10 minutes of action per game.
Foreman, however, is another grave loss for the immediate future. The 6-foot-6 guard is averaging 7.2 points and 3.6 rebounds in 25.3 minutes. There is no timetable for his suspension to be lifted.
In their first season as Division I program competing in the WAC, Grand Canyon has been competitive. They are 5-6, although three of those wins have come against sub-D1 competition, yet they have had close losses against New Mexico, Tulsa, and Loyola Marymount.
Grand Canyon has one more non-conference game remaining at Chattanooga before WAC play begins.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)