Dec 27, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Over the course of the holiday week, we at College Basketball Talk will be detailing what we believe will be the New Year’s Resolutions of some of the nation’s most talented, most disappointing, and thoroughly enigmatic teams. What can we say, we’re in a giving mood.
Who else made Resolutions? Click here to find out.
WHAT DOES VIRGINIA PROMISE TO DO MORE OF?: Get Joe Harris some more looks
- Why it will happen: In the preseason, Joe Harris was in the ACC Player of the Year conversation, though , through a dozen games this season his points per game is down five points. Harris has also seen a significant dip in his free throw shooting – the team is down from the line as well, at 65 percent – and so far, Harris is attempting less than eight shots per game. Harris is one of the best scoring options in the ACC. The Cavaliers can defend, and can slow down the game, but they’ll need Harris to put up some more points in the New Year.
- Why it won’t happen: Like mentioned in the last sentence, Virginia plays at slow pace. With the limited number of possessions, and as the Cavaliers have a current turnover percentage of 20.6 percent, according to kenpom.com, there are less opportunities to get Harris more looks.
WHAT DOES VIRGINIA SWEAR THEY WILL DO LESS OF?: Trying to figure out its lineup/rotation
- Why it will happen: Virginia entered the year with high expectations after winning 23 games a season ago. The Cavaliers have dropped games to VCU, Wisconsin – both at home – while being upset by Green Bay three days after losing to the Badgers. Tony Bennett, even after a two-week layoff, is still tinkering with his roster. He’s talked about shortening it, he’s talked about going 10, 11 guys and in Monday’s win over Norfolk State, Bennett had Akil Mitchell come off the bench. Virginia has a talented and deep roster. It’s only a matter of time before Bennett finds a lineup that works with this team.
- Why it won’t happen: Virginia has other issues to deal with besides the team’s chemistry. How can the Cavaliers fix those problems when they can’t even have a consistent starting five, or rotation? With conference play looming, UVA is still looking for a marquee win after dropping its best non-conference games to VCU and Wisconsin. They may be talented and deep, but they will to match that with chemistry if they want to contend in the ACC.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (5)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)