Dec 27, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Thirteen days ago when starting point guard Sterling Gibbs went down with a knee injury in Seton Hall’s overtime loss to Saint Peter’s, fans feared the worst. With Fuquan Edwin (ankle) and Patrik Auda (foot) already dealing with health issues, Kevin Willard’s team could ill afford another injury to one of the key members of the rotation.
But the program received “good” news, as it was ruled that Gibbs had suffered a hyperextended and bruised knee that was expected to keep him out one to two weeks. During the Big East coaches’ teleconference on Thursday morning Willard announced that his starting point guard will be able to play tonight when the Pirates host Lafayette. With Edwin and Auda having returned, Seton Hall will be close to complete against the Leopards. Forward Aaron Geramipoor remains out due to an ankle injury.
In 11 games the Texas transfer is averaging 16.1 points and 4.0 assists per game, leading the Pirates in both statistical categories. The loss of Gibbs became an even greater concern when Tom Maayan had to return to his native Israel to complete his three-year military requirement, which was another blow to Seton Hall’s perimeter depth.
Gibbs missed just one game, a 92-70 win over Eastern Washington, with starting guards Jaren Sina and Brian Oliver playing 35 and 34 minutes respectively. Those two combined to score 30 points, with Sina also dishing out eight assists without a single turnover.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)