Dec 27, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Thirteen days ago when starting point guard Sterling Gibbs went down with a knee injury in Seton Hall’s overtime loss to Saint Peter’s, fans feared the worst. With Fuquan Edwin (ankle) and Patrik Auda (foot) already dealing with health issues, Kevin Willard’s team could ill afford another injury to one of the key members of the rotation.
But the program received “good” news, as it was ruled that Gibbs had suffered a hyperextended and bruised knee that was expected to keep him out one to two weeks. During the Big East coaches’ teleconference on Thursday morning Willard announced that his starting point guard will be able to play tonight when the Pirates host Lafayette. With Edwin and Auda having returned, Seton Hall will be close to complete against the Leopards. Forward Aaron Geramipoor remains out due to an ankle injury.
In 11 games the Texas transfer is averaging 16.1 points and 4.0 assists per game, leading the Pirates in both statistical categories. The loss of Gibbs became an even greater concern when Tom Maayan had to return to his native Israel to complete his three-year military requirement, which was another blow to Seton Hall’s perimeter depth.
Gibbs missed just one game, a 92-70 win over Eastern Washington, with starting guards Jaren Sina and Brian Oliver playing 35 and 34 minutes respectively. Those two combined to score 30 points, with Sina also dishing out eight assists without a single turnover.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)