Dec 27, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Thirteen days ago when starting point guard Sterling Gibbs went down with a knee injury in Seton Hall’s overtime loss to Saint Peter’s, fans feared the worst. With Fuquan Edwin (ankle) and Patrik Auda (foot) already dealing with health issues, Kevin Willard’s team could ill afford another injury to one of the key members of the rotation.
But the program received “good” news, as it was ruled that Gibbs had suffered a hyperextended and bruised knee that was expected to keep him out one to two weeks. During the Big East coaches’ teleconference on Thursday morning Willard announced that his starting point guard will be able to play tonight when the Pirates host Lafayette. With Edwin and Auda having returned, Seton Hall will be close to complete against the Leopards. Forward Aaron Geramipoor remains out due to an ankle injury.
In 11 games the Texas transfer is averaging 16.1 points and 4.0 assists per game, leading the Pirates in both statistical categories. The loss of Gibbs became an even greater concern when Tom Maayan had to return to his native Israel to complete his three-year military requirement, which was another blow to Seton Hall’s perimeter depth.
Gibbs missed just one game, a 92-70 win over Eastern Washington, with starting guards Jaren Sina and Brian Oliver playing 35 and 34 minutes respectively. Those two combined to score 30 points, with Sina also dishing out eight assists without a single turnover.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)