Dec 27, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
After missing a game to return home to tend to two ailing relatives, St. John’s freshman point guard Rysheed Jordan has returned to the program and will be available when the Red Storm face Columbia on Saturday afternoon. The one game Jordan missed was a 96-87 win over Youngstown State last Saturday.
“Rysheed was back at practice yesterday after the Christmas break and will be with us for the Columbia game on Saturday,” head coach Steve Lavin said in the release. “It’s been a tough stretch for Rysheed dealing with both his mother’s and grandfather’s illnesses. I have been impressed with Rysheed’s ability to persevere through this challenging time while trying to balance his responsibilities as a student-athlete.
“Our players have rallied around Rysheed and have been a good support system during this difficult stretch.”
Jordan struggled some to start the season, but in the two games prior to his leaving the team the Philadelphia native averaged 11.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game against No. 2 Syracuse and San Francisco. The preseason pick to win Big East Rookie of the Year, Jordan displayed signs of being the impact player many expected him to be when he signed with St. John’s.
As a result of Jordan’s absence St. John’s pulled the redshirt of sophomore guard Felix Balamou, who played ten minutes against Youngstown State. He finished the game with two points and one rebound.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)