Dec 27, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
After missing a game to return home to tend to two ailing relatives, St. John’s freshman point guard Rysheed Jordan has returned to the program and will be available when the Red Storm face Columbia on Saturday afternoon. The one game Jordan missed was a 96-87 win over Youngstown State last Saturday.
“Rysheed was back at practice yesterday after the Christmas break and will be with us for the Columbia game on Saturday,” head coach Steve Lavin said in the release. “It’s been a tough stretch for Rysheed dealing with both his mother’s and grandfather’s illnesses. I have been impressed with Rysheed’s ability to persevere through this challenging time while trying to balance his responsibilities as a student-athlete.
“Our players have rallied around Rysheed and have been a good support system during this difficult stretch.”
Jordan struggled some to start the season, but in the two games prior to his leaving the team the Philadelphia native averaged 11.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game against No. 2 Syracuse and San Francisco. The preseason pick to win Big East Rookie of the Year, Jordan displayed signs of being the impact player many expected him to be when he signed with St. John’s.
As a result of Jordan’s absence St. John’s pulled the redshirt of sophomore guard Felix Balamou, who played ten minutes against Youngstown State. He finished the game with two points and one rebound.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)