Dec 27, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
After missing a game to return home to tend to two ailing relatives, St. John’s freshman point guard Rysheed Jordan has returned to the program and will be available when the Red Storm face Columbia on Saturday afternoon. The one game Jordan missed was a 96-87 win over Youngstown State last Saturday.
“Rysheed was back at practice yesterday after the Christmas break and will be with us for the Columbia game on Saturday,” head coach Steve Lavin said in the release. “It’s been a tough stretch for Rysheed dealing with both his mother’s and grandfather’s illnesses. I have been impressed with Rysheed’s ability to persevere through this challenging time while trying to balance his responsibilities as a student-athlete.
“Our players have rallied around Rysheed and have been a good support system during this difficult stretch.”
Jordan struggled some to start the season, but in the two games prior to his leaving the team the Philadelphia native averaged 11.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game against No. 2 Syracuse and San Francisco. The preseason pick to win Big East Rookie of the Year, Jordan displayed signs of being the impact player many expected him to be when he signed with St. John’s.
As a result of Jordan’s absence St. John’s pulled the redshirt of sophomore guard Felix Balamou, who played ten minutes against Youngstown State. He finished the game with two points and one rebound.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)