Dec 27, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
There’s more about the man behind the Skip Prosser Classic (CBS Sports)
On Saturday Xavier hosts Wake Forest in the fourth edition of the Skip Prosser Classic, a game that brings together the last two programs coached by the late Skip Prosser. But the game is about more than Prosser’s impact on the college game, and Prosser himself was about more than just basketball.
Tyler, Dylan Ennis drop brotherly love for one day (City of Basketball Love)
The matchup of Top 10 teams at the Carrier Dome on Saturday will also be a matchup of siblings, as older brother Dylan (Villanova) takes on younger brother Tyler (Syracuse). Both have been successful in their first season on the court for their respective programs, with Dylan eligible at Villanova after beginning his career at Rice.
Haith talks about Tigers’ upcoming trip to N.C. State (Columbia Daily Tribune)
One of the bigger games of the weekend is Missouri’s trip to Raleigh, where they’ll take on an N.C. State team that seems to be finding its stride. And sophomore forward T.J. Warren represents a major challenge for Frank Haith’s team, and the high-scorer was one of the topics that the head coach discussed on Thursday.
Mayes trying to stay positive as role shrinks (Arizona Daily Star)
No. 1 Arizona essentially has a seven-man rotation when healthy, with Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Gabe York being the two reserves seeing action. That means senior guard Jordin Mayes is an odd man out so to speak, and he’s doing his best to remain positive (and prepared) despite a lack of playing time.
All-Bay Area men’s college basketball so far? Argue away (San Francisco Chronicle)
With teams diving into conference play this weekend, Steve Kroner of the San Francisco Chronicle made his picks for his All-Bay Area team through the non-conference portion of the schedule.
For big hoops programs like Washington, a check can yield an easy win (Seattle Times)
Washington has paid $420,000 for five of their home games this season, and thus far the Huskies have won three of those games. This weekend Lorenzo Romar’s program will play Mississippi Valley State, which will collect an $80,000 check for agreeing to the game. And it isn’t as if Washington’s doing something rare, as such games have been commonplace in college basketball for years.
Louisville-Kentucky trumps Duke-North Carolina in rivalry debate (WDRB)
With the two Bluegrass State rivals meeting on Saturday in Lexington, the winner will enjoy bragging rights for the next year. And while more than a few have placed the Duke/North Carolina rival atop college basketball, that feeling isn’t shared by those who have experienced Louisville/Kentucky.
Lobo standouts adjust their games (Albuquerque Journal)
New Mexico’s “big three” of guard Kendall Williams, forward Cameron Bairstow and center Alex Kirk have done much of the heavy lifting offensively, and that will continue to be the case. But if the Lobos are to win another Mountain West title that trio will need help, and in recent games Cullen Neal and Deshawn Delaney have stepped up. With this being the case, the stars have needed to adjust some.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)