Dec 27, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
After playing just over 19 minutes per game as a sophomore, Virginia Tech guard Marquis Rankin did not see any action for the Hokies this season. Earlier in the season head coach James Johnson stated that Rankin was out due to “personal reasons,” and the issues needed to be addressed before he made a return to the court.
During that period Rankin wasn’t practicing or working out with the team, but he was still attending classes. And that will remain the case, as on Friday the school announced that while Rankin has left the program he will remain enrolled at Virginia Tech.
“I completely support Marquis on his decision, “ Johnson said in the release. “He is an outstanding young man who had to make a difficult choice and I know that he took the time to make sure it was the correct decision. While we will miss not having him on the team, I am very happy that he has decided to stay at Virginia Tech and work towards his ultimate goal of a degree from our University.”
Prior to the start of the season Rankin was expected to compete for significant playing time in the backcourt, and his absence led to more opportunities for Virginia Tech freshman point guard Devin Wilson. Wilson’s played 32.4 minutes per game through 11 contest, averaging 6.6 points and 5.4 assists. Clearly there won’t be much of a change in that regard, as Rankin was already inactive. Friday’s announcement simply rules out the possibility of Rankin rejoining the team at some point this season.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)