Dec 27, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
After playing just over 19 minutes per game as a sophomore, Virginia Tech guard Marquis Rankin did not see any action for the Hokies this season. Earlier in the season head coach James Johnson stated that Rankin was out due to “personal reasons,” and the issues needed to be addressed before he made a return to the court.
During that period Rankin wasn’t practicing or working out with the team, but he was still attending classes. And that will remain the case, as on Friday the school announced that while Rankin has left the program he will remain enrolled at Virginia Tech.
“I completely support Marquis on his decision, “ Johnson said in the release. “He is an outstanding young man who had to make a difficult choice and I know that he took the time to make sure it was the correct decision. While we will miss not having him on the team, I am very happy that he has decided to stay at Virginia Tech and work towards his ultimate goal of a degree from our University.”
Prior to the start of the season Rankin was expected to compete for significant playing time in the backcourt, and his absence led to more opportunities for Virginia Tech freshman point guard Devin Wilson. Wilson’s played 32.4 minutes per game through 11 contest, averaging 6.6 points and 5.4 assists. Clearly there won’t be much of a change in that regard, as Rankin was already inactive. Friday’s announcement simply rules out the possibility of Rankin rejoining the team at some point this season.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)