Dec 28, 2013, 12:14 AM EST
In the final non-conference game for both DePaul and Northwestern, each team was in desperate need of a win. Projected to finish at or near the bottom of their respective conferences, picking up a win against another power-conference team would have provided each team a much needed boost.
After Dave Sobolewski — who entered the game shooting a mere 18% from 3PT — drilled a three-pointer from the top of the arc with 4.9 seconds remaining, it looked as if Chris Collins would pick up the win and push the Wildcats to a four game winning streak. DePaul had other ideas.
The Blue Demons broke the Wildcat press, and Durrell McDonald passed up a contested three-point shot in favor of a Billy Garrett layup that just beat the buzzer, giving DePaul the 57-56 victory.
DePaul moves to 8-5 on the season. They now embark on an uphill battle in the Big East with their first test coming at Georgetown next Tuesday.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)