Dec 28, 2013, 12:14 AM EST
In the final non-conference game for both DePaul and Northwestern, each team was in desperate need of a win. Projected to finish at or near the bottom of their respective conferences, picking up a win against another power-conference team would have provided each team a much needed boost.
After Dave Sobolewski — who entered the game shooting a mere 18% from 3PT — drilled a three-pointer from the top of the arc with 4.9 seconds remaining, it looked as if Chris Collins would pick up the win and push the Wildcats to a four game winning streak. DePaul had other ideas.
The Blue Demons broke the Wildcat press, and Durrell McDonald passed up a contested three-point shot in favor of a Billy Garrett layup that just beat the buzzer, giving DePaul the 57-56 victory.
DePaul moves to 8-5 on the season. They now embark on an uphill battle in the Big East with their first test coming at Georgetown next Tuesday.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)