Dec 29, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Prior to Central Connecticut State’s close win over Albertus Magnus on Sunday afternoon, it was learned that the senior guard has been declared academically ineligible according to Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant. Hunter, who averaged 15.3 points and 7.7 rebounds per game as a junior, was averaging 9.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 12 games for the Blue Devils.
In their first game without the versatile Hunter the Blue Devils struggled against Albertus Magnus, winning 85-82 behind 22 points and ten rebounds from Faronte Drakeford and 20 points from Kyle Vinales. Terrell Allen added 18 points and nine rebounds off the bench, and with Hunter’s departure he may become a more important player moving forward.
Now 4-8 on the season, Howie Dickenman’s Blue Devils have one more non-conference game (Friday at Coastal Carolina) before opening NEC play on January 9 at Wagner. CCSU was picked to finish fifth in the league’s preseason poll, but the loss of Hunter could make it difficult to hang with the likes of three-time defending champion LIU Brooklyn, Wagner, Bryant and Robert Morris.
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 14
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)