Dec 29, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Prior to Central Connecticut State’s close win over Albertus Magnus on Sunday afternoon, it was learned that the senior guard has been declared academically ineligible according to Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant. Hunter, who averaged 15.3 points and 7.7 rebounds per game as a junior, was averaging 9.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 12 games for the Blue Devils.
In their first game without the versatile Hunter the Blue Devils struggled against Albertus Magnus, winning 85-82 behind 22 points and ten rebounds from Faronte Drakeford and 20 points from Kyle Vinales. Terrell Allen added 18 points and nine rebounds off the bench, and with Hunter’s departure he may become a more important player moving forward.
Now 4-8 on the season, Howie Dickenman’s Blue Devils have one more non-conference game (Friday at Coastal Carolina) before opening NEC play on January 9 at Wagner. CCSU was picked to finish fifth in the league’s preseason poll, but the loss of Hunter could make it difficult to hang with the likes of three-time defending champion LIU Brooklyn, Wagner, Bryant and Robert Morris.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)