Dec 29, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Prior to Central Connecticut State’s close win over Albertus Magnus on Sunday afternoon, it was learned that the senior guard has been declared academically ineligible according to Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant. Hunter, who averaged 15.3 points and 7.7 rebounds per game as a junior, was averaging 9.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 12 games for the Blue Devils.
In their first game without the versatile Hunter the Blue Devils struggled against Albertus Magnus, winning 85-82 behind 22 points and ten rebounds from Faronte Drakeford and 20 points from Kyle Vinales. Terrell Allen added 18 points and nine rebounds off the bench, and with Hunter’s departure he may become a more important player moving forward.
Now 4-8 on the season, Howie Dickenman’s Blue Devils have one more non-conference game (Friday at Coastal Carolina) before opening NEC play on January 9 at Wagner. CCSU was picked to finish fifth in the league’s preseason poll, but the loss of Hunter could make it difficult to hang with the likes of three-time defending champion LIU Brooklyn, Wagner, Bryant and Robert Morris.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)