Dec 29, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Prior to Central Connecticut State’s close win over Albertus Magnus on Sunday afternoon, it was learned that the senior guard has been declared academically ineligible according to Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant. Hunter, who averaged 15.3 points and 7.7 rebounds per game as a junior, was averaging 9.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 12 games for the Blue Devils.
In their first game without the versatile Hunter the Blue Devils struggled against Albertus Magnus, winning 85-82 behind 22 points and ten rebounds from Faronte Drakeford and 20 points from Kyle Vinales. Terrell Allen added 18 points and nine rebounds off the bench, and with Hunter’s departure he may become a more important player moving forward.
Now 4-8 on the season, Howie Dickenman’s Blue Devils have one more non-conference game (Friday at Coastal Carolina) before opening NEC play on January 9 at Wagner. CCSU was picked to finish fifth in the league’s preseason poll, but the loss of Hunter could make it difficult to hang with the likes of three-time defending champion LIU Brooklyn, Wagner, Bryant and Robert Morris.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)