Dec 29, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: Davidson vs. No. 10 Wichita State, 3 p.m.
The Shockers are off to their best start in school history. They look to continue to raise the bar as they welcome the Davidson Wildcats to Charles Koch Arena. Davidson will be playing its fifth ranked opponent this season, taking North Carolina to overtime last Saturday before the Tar Heels ran away in the extra five minutes. Davidson forward De’Mon Brooks missed six games before returning against North Carolina. He had another full week to prepare for this afternoon’s tilt with Wichita State. The Shockers look to avoid the upset, and head into Missouri Valley Conference play undefeated.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET? Canisius vs. Notre Dame, 5 p.m. (ESPN3)
So far this season, Notre Dame has let Indiana State and North Dakota State leave South Bend with wins. On Sunday, the Fighting Irish welcome MAAC contender Canisius. This will be the first game Notre Dame plays without Jerian Grant, who leads the team in points and assists.
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: Southeast Missouri State vs. Missouri State, 3:05 p.m.
A battle between Ohio Valley Conference and Missouri Valley Conference programs. Southeast Missouri State (8-3) travels across the state to Springfield to play a 9-2 Missouri State team. Jarekious Bradley leads Southeast Missouri State with 20.1 points per game, while Tyler Stone is averaging nearly a double-double this season. Missouri State will look to slow down the game on offense.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) Wichita State isn’t the only team looking to remain unbeaten. Oregon is looking to improve to 12-0, hosting 3-8 Morgan State at 3 p.m. in Eugene.
2) Florida has won three games since Shabazz Napier ran out of Gampel Pavilion with a UConn win. The Gators have had a week to improve on its team chemistry, dealing with multiple injuries over the first few months of the season. Florida is yet to be a full strength as freshman forward Chris Walker will not play against Savannah State on Sunday, pushing back his collegiate debut.
3) There are several other quality mid-major games on tap for Sunday such as:
- Georgia State vs. East Carolina, 1 p.m.
- Buffalo vs. Drexel, 2 p.m.
- Eastern Kentucky vs. IPFW, 2 p.m.
- Denver vs. UTEP, 9 p.m.
4) Georgia Tech is 8-4 on the season and on Sunday the Yellow Jackets end their non-conference schedule. They’ll look to bounce-back from a double-digit loss to Vanderbilt, but will have to do so against Charlotte (8-3). The last time the 49ers played an ACC opponent, they got blown out by 42.
5) Dougie McBuckets and Creighton end non-conference play on Sunday against Chicago State. The Bluejays kick off its first Big East season on New Year’s Eve against Marquette.
- Texas Southern vs. TCU, 2 p.m.
- Murray State vs. Dayton, 2 p.m.
- West Virginia vs. William & Mary, 3 p.m.
- Bowling Green vs. Wright State, 3 p.m.
- Boston University vs. St. Joseph’s, 4 p.m.
- Howard vs. USC, 5 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Tulsa vs. Maryland, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Cal Poly vs. Stanford, 7 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Hartford vs. Washington, 9 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Quinnipiac vs. Oregon State, 11 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)