Dec 30, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Gonzaga was dealt a blow to the early part of its WCC conference slate as junior guard Gary Bell Jr. was ruled out after breaking his right hand, according to head coach Mark Few on his radio program.
According to a report from The Spokesman-Review‘s Jim Meehan, Bell saw a hand specialist on Monday after the guard’s hand began to swell up following Saturday’s win over Santa Clara in which the junior guard was limited to only 16 minutes of play.
Bell is averaging 12.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and two assists while shooting tremendous percentages (50 FG/82 FT/47 3FG) across the board for the No. 24 Zags, and they are sure to feel his loss on both ends of the floor.
Gonzaga is also dealing with injuries to its other two leading scorers, as guard Kevin Pangos has been dealing with a toe injury for a month or so, and forward Sam Dower Jr. deals with a lower back injury. Dower missed the Santa Clara game and it is uncertain whether he’ll play against San Francisco on Monday night.
UPDATE: According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, head coach Mark Few expects Bell to miss 4-6 weeks while Sam Dower is out indefinitely,
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)