Dec 30, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Gonzaga was dealt a blow to the early part of its WCC conference slate as junior guard Gary Bell Jr. was ruled out after breaking his right hand, according to head coach Mark Few on his radio program.
According to a report from The Spokesman-Review‘s Jim Meehan, Bell saw a hand specialist on Monday after the guard’s hand began to swell up following Saturday’s win over Santa Clara in which the junior guard was limited to only 16 minutes of play.
Bell is averaging 12.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and two assists while shooting tremendous percentages (50 FG/82 FT/47 3FG) across the board for the No. 24 Zags, and they are sure to feel his loss on both ends of the floor.
Gonzaga is also dealing with injuries to its other two leading scorers, as guard Kevin Pangos has been dealing with a toe injury for a month or so, and forward Sam Dower Jr. deals with a lower back injury. Dower missed the Santa Clara game and it is uncertain whether he’ll play against San Francisco on Monday night.
UPDATE: According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, head coach Mark Few expects Bell to miss 4-6 weeks while Sam Dower is out indefinitely,
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)