Dec 30, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Gonzaga was dealt a blow to the early part of its WCC conference slate as junior guard Gary Bell Jr. was ruled out after breaking his right hand, according to head coach Mark Few on his radio program.
According to a report from The Spokesman-Review‘s Jim Meehan, Bell saw a hand specialist on Monday after the guard’s hand began to swell up following Saturday’s win over Santa Clara in which the junior guard was limited to only 16 minutes of play.
Bell is averaging 12.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and two assists while shooting tremendous percentages (50 FG/82 FT/47 3FG) across the board for the No. 24 Zags, and they are sure to feel his loss on both ends of the floor.
Gonzaga is also dealing with injuries to its other two leading scorers, as guard Kevin Pangos has been dealing with a toe injury for a month or so, and forward Sam Dower Jr. deals with a lower back injury. Dower missed the Santa Clara game and it is uncertain whether he’ll play against San Francisco on Monday night.
UPDATE: According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, head coach Mark Few expects Bell to miss 4-6 weeks while Sam Dower is out indefinitely,
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)