Dec 30, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Gonzaga was dealt a blow to the early part of its WCC conference slate as junior guard Gary Bell Jr. was ruled out after breaking his right hand, according to head coach Mark Few on his radio program.
According to a report from The Spokesman-Review‘s Jim Meehan, Bell saw a hand specialist on Monday after the guard’s hand began to swell up following Saturday’s win over Santa Clara in which the junior guard was limited to only 16 minutes of play.
Bell is averaging 12.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and two assists while shooting tremendous percentages (50 FG/82 FT/47 3FG) across the board for the No. 24 Zags, and they are sure to feel his loss on both ends of the floor.
Gonzaga is also dealing with injuries to its other two leading scorers, as guard Kevin Pangos has been dealing with a toe injury for a month or so, and forward Sam Dower Jr. deals with a lower back injury. Dower missed the Santa Clara game and it is uncertain whether he’ll play against San Francisco on Monday night.
UPDATE: According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, head coach Mark Few expects Bell to miss 4-6 weeks while Sam Dower is out indefinitely,
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)