Dec 30, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Louisiana Tech entered the season as one of the nation’s trendiest mid-majors, but thanks to an opening night loss at St. Mary’s and disappointing results against Louisiana-Lafayette and Oklahoma State, a lot of people forgot about the Bulldogs.
Mike White’s club picked up a 102-98 win at Oklahoma on Monday night. They erased a 14-point first half deficit on the road, bouncing back after Cameron Clark hit a ridiculous, buzzer-beating three to force the extra frame.
Winning on the road isn’t easy. Beating Oklahoma after being down 14 points on the road isn’t easy. Bouncing back from a momentum-killing three at the end of regulation isn’t easy.
No matter how you slice, this was a very impressive win for Louisiana Tech.
If you’ve never seen the Bulldogs play, they are reminiscent of VCU. They like to press, they like to trap, they like uptempo basketball. But like VCU, when they struggle, it’s on the offensive end of the floor. They are not a particularly good shooting team.
On Monday night, however, Louisiana Tech got 31 points from Alex Hamilton and 22 points from Raheem Appleby. Cordarius Johnson chipped in with 17 points, hitting five of LTU’s 10 three-pointers. When they are hitting their threes and when they are putting up more than 100 points, this Louisiana Tech team is going to be a tough out.
This win probably won’t be enough to get them an at-large bid is the struggle at all in Conference USA play. But it is a sign that their length and athleticism in that press can cause anyone they would draw in a potential tournament trip a lot of issues.
(h/t Nordy for the video)
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)