Dec 30, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: Toledo at No. 16 Kansas, 8:00 p.m.
The nightmarish non-conference schedule that Bill Self has put together this season continues on Monday evening as the Jayhawks will host a Toledo team that is much better than you realize. The Rockets have won at Boston College and Robert Morris. They’ve beaten Stony Brook and Cleveland State. With the New Year right around the corner, Toledo is still undefeated. Kansas will be by far the best team that the Rockets have faced this season, so we will get a chance to see if this team is actually for real
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Oral Roberts at No. 9 Baylor, 8:00 p.m.
ORU has struggled a bit this season, especially as they deal with a couple of injuries, but the Golden Eagles are a good program that always seems to give higher-profile programs problems. The key will be whether or not they are able to handle the Bears’ massive front line.
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: St. Mary’s at Pacific, 11:00 p.m.
The Gaels were undefeated heading into last week. Then they went to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic and lost all three games. Pacific is currently sitting at 9-2 this season as one of the nation’s most surprising teams. With the Gaels struggling and BYU coming off of an ugly loss to LMU over the weekend, the WCC is wide-open. Can the Tigers kick off league play in style?
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) In the “we really need to win this” game of the day, Virginia will head on down to Knoxville to take on Tennessee in a slugfest that may not reach the 50’s.
2) Vanderbilt will look to land themselves another solid non-conference win when they host St. Louis tonight at 9:00 p.m.
3) No. 6 Oklahoma State will host a scrappy Robert morris team tonight at 7:00 p.m.
4) No. 24 Gonzaga hosts San Francisco tonight at 9:00 p.m. They kicked off WCC play on Saturday with a win over Santa Clara. Will Sam Dower and Kevin Pangos be healthy?
5) N.C. State will look to bounce back from a loss to Missouri at home on Saturday with a trip to take on UNC-Greensboro.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)