Dec 30, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Toledo at No. 16 Kansas, 8:00 p.m.
The nightmarish non-conference schedule that Bill Self has put together this season continues on Monday evening as the Jayhawks will host a Toledo team that is much better than you realize. The Rockets have won at Boston College and Robert Morris. They’ve beaten Stony Brook and Cleveland State. With the New Year right around the corner, Toledo is still undefeated. Kansas will be by far the best team that the Rockets have faced this season, so we will get a chance to see if this team is actually for real
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Oral Roberts at No. 9 Baylor, 8:00 p.m.
ORU has struggled a bit this season, especially as they deal with a couple of injuries, but the Golden Eagles are a good program that always seems to give higher-profile programs problems. The key will be whether or not they are able to handle the Bears’ massive front line.
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: St. Mary’s at Pacific, 11:00 p.m.
The Gaels were undefeated heading into last week. Then they went to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic and lost all three games. Pacific is currently sitting at 9-2 this season as one of the nation’s most surprising teams. With the Gaels struggling and BYU coming off of an ugly loss to LMU over the weekend, the WCC is wide-open. Can the Tigers kick off league play in style?
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) In the “we really need to win this” game of the day, Virginia will head on down to Knoxville to take on Tennessee in a slugfest that may not reach the 50’s.
2) Vanderbilt will look to land themselves another solid non-conference win when they host St. Louis tonight at 9:00 p.m.
3) No. 6 Oklahoma State will host a scrappy Robert morris team tonight at 7:00 p.m.
4) No. 24 Gonzaga hosts San Francisco tonight at 9:00 p.m. They kicked off WCC play on Saturday with a win over Santa Clara. Will Sam Dower and Kevin Pangos be healthy?
5) N.C. State will look to bounce back from a loss to Missouri at home on Saturday with a trip to take on UNC-Greensboro.
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 4
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)