Dec 31, 2013, 10:22 AM EST
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1. Jabari Parker, Duke: Duke knocked off Eastern Michigan last week and Parker was terrific as always, finishing with 23 points and eight boards. The Blue Devils kick off ACC player on January 4th against Notre Dame.
2. Shabazz Napier, UConn: 15.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 5.9 apg, 2.8 t/o’s, 51.4% 3′s
There are six point guards on this list if you count Russ Smith as a point guard (Why not? He needs to be if he’s going to play in the NBA) so for those six players, we’re going to take a look at the numbers that Synergy has compiled for possessions they use vs. their efficiency when you factor in their assists.
A quick explanation of the numbers you’re looking at: PPP means points-per-possession, which is essentially a measure of how efficiency a player is offensively. Points-per-assists is a measure for how many threes those assists create; 2.500 PPA would mean that half of the player’s assists lead to three-pointers. %Rank tells you where that player ranks nationally in that stat.
PPP + assists is the key number here. It combines the points that player scores and creates off of assists, giving you a number for how much scoring a point guard creates:
3. Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State: 17.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, 2.9 t/o’s, 32.8% 3′s
4. Doug McDermott, Creighton: McDermott continues to roll along, scoring 24 points and chipping in six boards in Creighton’s win over Chicago State. The Bluejays kick off Big East play on New Year’s Eve with a 10 p.m. tip against Marquette.
5. Julius Randle, Kentucky: Randle put together one of his best performances of the season in the first half against Louisville, going for 17 points on 7-for-8 shooting and completely dominating the Louisville front line. In the second half, he was saddled on the bench with cramping issues.
6. Tyler Ennis, Syracuse: 12.8 ppg, 5.1 apg, 1.1 t/o’s, 40.0% 3′s
7. Chaz Williams, UMass: 15.3 ppg, 7.7 apg, 3.3 t/o’s, 41.8% 3′s
8. Casey Prather, Florida: Prather had just 10 points and five turnovers in Florida’s only game last week, but it came in a 76-34 blowout where Florida had given up just 11 points at half time.
9. Russ Smith, Louisville: 16.9 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.5 t/o’s, 31.2% 3′s
10. Keith Appling, Michigan State: 15.9 ppg, 5.0 apg, 1.9 t/o’s, 47.7% 3′s
Others: Jordan Adams, Kyle Anderson, Ron Baker, Cameron Bairstow, Jahii Carson, Jordan Clarkson, Aaron Craft, Joel Embiid, C.J. Fair, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Marcus Paige, Lamar Patterson, Adreian Payne, Elfrid Payton, T.J. Warren, Andrew Wiggins, Joseph Young
Nov 23, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
No. 21 Nebraska was the lone ranked team to fall on Saturday, but give them credit for being willing to go on the road to play a dangerous opponent.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Devin Davis has been rehabbing from injuries suffered on November 1 in his hometown of Indianapolis.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Most people already knew that Winslow’s a high-level athlete. Here’s some evidence for those who somehow didn’t.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:22 PM EST
Before their game against No. 21 Nebraska, Rhode Island took the floor in shirts honoring Avery Harriman.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:44 PM EST
Florida faces Georgetown in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis Wednesday.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
The score was tied 41-41 with six minutes to go. Rams and Cornhuskers traded the lead five times after that.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
Wyoming may have scored just 56 points, but all 22 of their made field goals were assisted and they shot nearly 53 percent from the field.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
Boutte’s shot came seconds after he corralled a wayward pass from teammate Marcellus Barksdale.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:43 PM EST
Eustachy led the Rams to a school-record 26 wins in 2012-13.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Meeks accounted for two double-doubles all season in 2013-14. He’s now matched that total through three games.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Providence jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead and cruised to an easy win over Florida State.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Notre Dame guards Demetrius Jackson and Jerian Grant played well to help lead the Irish to victory.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The 2015 CBE Classic will have a local flavor.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Ball State will be without a key piece for the immediate future.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Florida will be without a key guard for at least a few games.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
More depth is coming for the Aggies.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
A solid Saturday slate features multiple ranked teams in action.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A tremendous story continues to get better as Lauren Hill surprised teammates and fans by checking into her second college basketball game and scoring again on Friday night.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Cornell shouldn’t have given D.J. Newbill a chance.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Here is everything you need to know from Friday night hoops.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)