Dec 31, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1. Jabari Parker, Duke: Duke knocked off Eastern Michigan last week and Parker was terrific as always, finishing with 23 points and eight boards. The Blue Devils kick off ACC player on January 4th against Notre Dame.
2. Shabazz Napier, UConn: 15.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 5.9 apg, 2.8 t/o’s, 51.4% 3’s
There are six point guards on this list if you count Russ Smith as a point guard (Why not? He needs to be if he’s going to play in the NBA) so for those six players, we’re going to take a look at the numbers that Synergy has compiled for possessions they use vs. their efficiency when you factor in their assists.
A quick explanation of the numbers you’re looking at: PPP means points-per-possession, which is essentially a measure of how efficiency a player is offensively. Points-per-assists is a measure for how many threes those assists create; 2.500 PPA would mean that half of the player’s assists lead to three-pointers. %Rank tells you where that player ranks nationally in that stat.
PPP + assists is the key number here. It combines the points that player scores and creates off of assists, giving you a number for how much scoring a point guard creates:
3. Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State: 17.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, 2.9 t/o’s, 32.8% 3’s
4. Doug McDermott, Creighton: McDermott continues to roll along, scoring 24 points and chipping in six boards in Creighton’s win over Chicago State. The Bluejays kick off Big East play on New Year’s Eve with a 10 p.m. tip against Marquette.
5. Julius Randle, Kentucky: Randle put together one of his best performances of the season in the first half against Louisville, going for 17 points on 7-for-8 shooting and completely dominating the Louisville front line. In the second half, he was saddled on the bench with cramping issues.
6. Tyler Ennis, Syracuse: 12.8 ppg, 5.1 apg, 1.1 t/o’s, 40.0% 3’s
7. Chaz Williams, UMass: 15.3 ppg, 7.7 apg, 3.3 t/o’s, 41.8% 3’s
8. Casey Prather, Florida: Prather had just 10 points and five turnovers in Florida’s only game last week, but it came in a 76-34 blowout where Florida had given up just 11 points at half time.
9. Russ Smith, Louisville: 16.9 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.5 t/o’s, 31.2% 3’s
10. Keith Appling, Michigan State: 15.9 ppg, 5.0 apg, 1.9 t/o’s, 47.7% 3’s
Others: Jordan Adams, Kyle Anderson, Ron Baker, Cameron Bairstow, Jahii Carson, Jordan Clarkson, Aaron Craft, Joel Embiid, C.J. Fair, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Marcus Paige, Lamar Patterson, Adreian Payne, Elfrid Payton, T.J. Warren, Andrew Wiggins, Joseph Young
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
This took a while to plan.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
The Tigers have zero minutes of experience in their back court.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Indiana now has six commitments in the Class of 2014.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Kampe over came his fear of heights but still got hit with ice water.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Ohio State has some interesting games in the non-conference slate.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery defended some of his player’s recent offseason troubles.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)