Dec 31, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
The Houston Cougars led by as many as 21 points in the first half before entering the break with 18-point lead. No. 17 Connecticut would storm back, taking its first lead with less than four minutes to play on a DeAndre Daniels three. Despite blowing the game-long lead the Cougars battled back and pulled off a 75-71 upset at home on New Year’s Even in the program’s first league game in the American Athletic Conference.
Houston came off the gates without lot of energy, flat out playing UConn. This was a Cougars team that was playing without L.J. Rose or Danuel House and had lost to both San Jose State and Louisiana-Lafayette earlier this month.
TaShawn Thomas was a monster on the inside. He scored 12 points in the first half and continued to roll in the second half, scoring a team-high 21 points, grabbing eight rebounds as well. Thomas also made two free throws to put Houston ahead, 73-71, drawing a foul — or not a foul as it appeared on the replay — on Tyler Olander, which was his fifth.
UConn’s star, Shabazz Napier went the first 19:56 seconds without a bucket, connecting on two free throws just before halftime. Essentially the entire UConn offense was quiet in the first half, minus Ryan Boatright. Napier, who ended with a game-high 28, tried to pull off another heroic comeback, but missed a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 45 seconds left. After Thomas’ two free throws, Napier rushed the ball up the floor, but met a pair of defenders at the hoop as Thomas swatted Napier’s shot off the backboard.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)