Dec 31, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
No. 5 Michigan State looked like they were going to be in for a fight.
A scrappy Nittany Lions team had opened up a 47-40 halftime lead over the Spartans as D.J. Newbill and Tim Frazier showed why they deserved to be in the conversation for the midseason all-Big Ten team.
The Spartans have been banged up all season, which has made it easy to forget that they were actually NBCSports.com’s preseason No. 1 team in the country.
And in the second half, Sparty did everything they could to remind college hoop fans that they are still here. The Spartans opened up the half on a 30-8 run and eventually outscored the Nittany Lions 39-16 in the second stanza. Branden Dawson led the way with 20 points and nine boards while Gary Harris (13 points), Keith Appling (14 points, three assists), and Denzel Valentine (nine points, six assists) all played well.
Most impressive? The Spartans were dominant without Adreian Payne doing anything offensively.
Keep in mind, this isn’t just any old Penn State team. This may not be a group destined for the NCAA tournament, but this is a talented, scrappy group that is better than the team that beat Michigan in State College last February.
That second half dominance shouldn’t be overlooked simply because it came against Penn State.
So if you’ve forgotten because of the injuries, or if the discussion about Syracuse or Arizona or Kentucky has made you over look the Spartans, don’t.
There is a reason this team was a favorite entering the season. We’re starting to see why now.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)