Dec 31, 2013, 5:34 PM EST
Oklahoma State ran away with a 92-66 win over Robert Morris on Monday night, but in the process ended up losing a key piece for the remainder of the season.
Junior forward Michael Cobbins played less than four minutes on Monday night, leaving an Achilles tendon injury. After being examined on Tuesday, Kelly Hines of the Tulsa World reported that the 6-foot-8 Cobbins will undergo surgery and will be done for the season.
“Our thoughts are with Michael, and we pray for a successful recovery,” Travis Ford said, per a tweet from Hines. “We know Michael will work extremely hard and be back next season, better than ever.”
Cobbins was averaging 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game for No. 6 Oklahoma State. This is a tough loss for the Cowboys with Big 12 Conference play beginning this Saturday. The Cowboys have Marcus Smart leading one of the nation’s best perimeter attacks, but how will the Pokes frontline matchup with some of the other conference contenders like Kansas or Baylor?
Oklahoma State travels to Manhattan on Saturday to take on Kansas State.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)