Dec 31, 2013, 5:34 PM EST
Oklahoma State ran away with a 92-66 win over Robert Morris on Monday night, but in the process ended up losing a key piece for the remainder of the season.
Junior forward Michael Cobbins played less than four minutes on Monday night, leaving an Achilles tendon injury. After being examined on Tuesday, Kelly Hines of the Tulsa World reported that the 6-foot-8 Cobbins will undergo surgery and will be done for the season.
“Our thoughts are with Michael, and we pray for a successful recovery,” Travis Ford said, per a tweet from Hines. “We know Michael will work extremely hard and be back next season, better than ever.”
Cobbins was averaging 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds per game for No. 6 Oklahoma State. This is a tough loss for the Cowboys with Big 12 Conference play beginning this Saturday. The Cowboys have Marcus Smart leading one of the nation’s best perimeter attacks, but how will the Pokes frontline matchup with some of the other conference contenders like Kansas or Baylor?
Oklahoma State travels to Manhattan on Saturday to take on Kansas State.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)