Jan 1, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Just one day after it was announced that redshirt junior forward Michael Cobbins will miss the remainder of the season due to injury, the Oklahoma State basketball program received more bad news regarding one of its players.
As reported by multiple outlets, freshman guard Stevie Clark was arrested during a traffic stop on Wednesday morning for possession of marijuana. An Edmond (Okla.) Police officer pulled over the vehicle in which Clark was a passenger due to a seatbelt violation.
Around 10 a.m., an officer pulled over a vehicle on northbound Interstate 35 at 33rd Street. Edmond Police spokeswoman Jenny Monroe says the car the Cowboys freshman point guard was a passenger in was stopped for a seatbelt violation, but the officer determined there was marijuana in the car.
Both Clark and the driver were arrested for possession of marijuana.
Clark, who was suspended for four games earlier this season, is averaging 7.0 points and 3.7 assists per game for the Cowboys as one of their first reserves off the bench. In Oklahoma State’s 92-66 win over Robert Morris the freshman tallied nine points and nine assists in 24 minutes of action, establishing a new season high for assists in a game.
If Clark were to miss time as a result of this situation Oklahoma State has more than enough depth to account for it, with Marcus Smart, Markel Brown, Brian Williams and Phil Forte III firmly entrenched in Travis Ford’s perimeter rotation. But while also looking to address the loss of Cobbins, this situation is an additional headache that Oklahoma State really doesn’t need with conference play kicking off on Saturday.
Oklahoma State will play its first three Big 12 games on the road, beginning with a trip to the “Octagon of Doom” to play Kansas State on Saturday afternoon.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)