Jan 1, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Just one day after it was announced that redshirt junior forward Michael Cobbins will miss the remainder of the season due to injury, the Oklahoma State basketball program received more bad news regarding one of its players.
As reported by multiple outlets, freshman guard Stevie Clark was arrested during a traffic stop on Wednesday morning for possession of marijuana. An Edmond (Okla.) Police officer pulled over the vehicle in which Clark was a passenger due to a seatbelt violation.
Around 10 a.m., an officer pulled over a vehicle on northbound Interstate 35 at 33rd Street. Edmond Police spokeswoman Jenny Monroe says the car the Cowboys freshman point guard was a passenger in was stopped for a seatbelt violation, but the officer determined there was marijuana in the car.
Both Clark and the driver were arrested for possession of marijuana.
Clark, who was suspended for four games earlier this season, is averaging 7.0 points and 3.7 assists per game for the Cowboys as one of their first reserves off the bench. In Oklahoma State’s 92-66 win over Robert Morris the freshman tallied nine points and nine assists in 24 minutes of action, establishing a new season high for assists in a game.
If Clark were to miss time as a result of this situation Oklahoma State has more than enough depth to account for it, with Marcus Smart, Markel Brown, Brian Williams and Phil Forte III firmly entrenched in Travis Ford’s perimeter rotation. But while also looking to address the loss of Cobbins, this situation is an additional headache that Oklahoma State really doesn’t need with conference play kicking off on Saturday.
Oklahoma State will play its first three Big 12 games on the road, beginning with a trip to the “Octagon of Doom” to play Kansas State on Saturday afternoon.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)