Jan 2, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
Georgia Tech’s rough start to the season got worse on Wednesday.
The Yellow Jackets announced that they have lost starting center Robert Carter indefinitely to a torn meniscus. He injured the knee on Sunday against Charlotte and an MRI on Tuesday revealed the tear. He will have surgery next Tuesday to repair the damage.
“He’s a tough kid, and this hit him pretty hard,” said Gregory. “He’s done everything we’ve asked of him this year. He’s changed his body, he’s become more aggressive on the glass, and his stats clearly show that he was having a tremendous sophomore season for us. He’s a big part of what we do both offensively and defensively. We won’t know exactly what the nature of the injury is until the surgery occurs.”
Carter is averaging 10.3 points and 9.3 boards, leading the ACC, this season. He’s started all 44 games in his Tech career.
Look for Kammeon Holsey to get a bump in minutes in his absence.
Georgia Tech kicks off ACC play on Saturday at Maryland.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)