Jan 2, 2014, 6:21 PM EST
The start of the 2013-14 season has been a tough one for the Kennesaw State Owls, as they currently have a record of 3-12 and have lost seven straight games ahead of their Atlantic Sun home opener against East Tennessee State on Saturday afternoon. Things got a little tougher on Thursday afternoon, as the school announced that head coach Lewis Preston will take a temporary leave of absence for “medical and personal reasons.”
Preston, who is in his third season as the head coach at Kennesaw State, spent three seasons on Ed DeChellis’ staff at Penn State prior to being hired by the Atlantic Sun school. According to the release associate head coach Jimmy Lallathin will assume the head coaching duties in Preston’s absence. In regards to when Preston could rejoin the program, no timetable was given.
Of Kennesaw State’s three wins only one came against a Division I opponent, as they beat Chattanooga 73-69 on November 19. All seven defeats in the team’s current losing streak have been by double digits, with the closest margin being 17 points (losses to Kent State and Georgia Tech).
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)