Jan 2, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 21 San Diego State 71, Colorado State 61
Xavier Thames continued his terrific play, going for 23 points, and Winston Shepard added 17 points as the Aztecs went into the always-difficult Moby Arena and knocked off a rebuilding Colorado State team, 71-61. It was a big win for a San Diego State team off to their second-best start in school history, as they locked up a league win in their first game of the season and did it in one of the toughest road environs in the conference. It could have been easy for the Aztecs to overlook this game as well. SDSU heads to Lawrence on Sunday to take on Kansas in a game with massive implications not only for the Aztecs but for the Mountain West as well. The league didn’t do all that well in the non-conference portion of the schedule, and picking of a team like Kansas — a Big 12 favorite that’s only going to get better as the season goes — would be a huge boost for their computer numbers.
1) Willis Hall went for 26 points and 21 boards as Charleston picked up a huge road win at Davidson. Those 21 rebounds tied Hall for the second-highest total in a game this season. Roscoe Smith of UNLV and Brandon West of Jackson State both snatched 22 boards in a game this season. The last time someone had that many boards and that many points in a game came on November 24th when Stony Brook’s Jameel Warney finished with 32 points and 21 boards in an overtime win against Detroit. The last time it happened in a game in regulation was when Yale’s Greg Mangano went for 35 points and 21 boards in a win over St. Joseph’s (NY) in January of 2012. The last time it happened in a game against a Division I program was when Thomas Robinson had 30 points and 21 boards on New Year’s Eve in 2011 against North Dakota.
2) Justin Jackson was a fantasy dream on Wednesday night. In Cincinnati’s 65-57 win over SMU, Jackson finished with 17 points, six boards, five blocks, five steals and three assists.
3) Bryce Dejean-Jones had 24 points and six boards and Khem Birch went from 14 points, 17 boards and four blocks in a 75-62 win for UNLV against Fresno State.
1) Olivier Hanlan went 3-for-12 from the floor and committed three turnovers as Boston College got smacked around by Harvard on Wednesday night.
2) Langston Hall was 1-for-8 from the floor and had just four points as Atlantic Sun favorite Mercer lost at North Florida, 89-83.
3) Playing their first game without Daniel Dingle, Anthony Lee was just 3-for-15 from the floor as Temple lost to Rutgers 71-66 in their American opener.
- Utah State, playing without Jarred Shaw, lost to Air Force, 73-72. That’s a bad loss in what is supposed to be the easy road trip leg in the MWC.
- Dayton put five players in double-figures as they beat Winthrop by 34.
- Brett Comer scored 24 points as FGCU moved to 2-0 in Atlantic Sun play and took a one game lead over Mercer.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Wichita State is coming off of a Final Four and an undefeated regular season. What happens if they can’t match that success again?
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s the second time Hill has donated a million to the school
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Mitchell played as well as anyone in the country this July
Jul 31, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s not that strong, but it could have been much worse.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Walker has spent the last 13 seasons at his alma mater.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The highly athletic wing is back on the market, but he’s yet to be cleared academically.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
The Bulldogs succeeded in keeping a talented in-state product home.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Mayo’s decision means that Marquette has to replace its top four scorers from last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Just over a month after landing a junior college guard, the Rebels have their second commit in the Class of 2015.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
UCLA is holding out hope that John Wooden Court can be salvaged, but if not they’ll have time to replace it.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Larrier is the best recruit that Shaka Smart has landed at VCU.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
After averaging 16.0 points per game as a freshman, the South Plains College guard is looking to become a better lead guard as a sophomore.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
It’s Dayton’s third commitment from the Class of 2015
Jul 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Oregon is now left with just nine scholarship players, only two of whom saw significant minutes last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Coggins will be heading back closer to his Southern California home
Jul 30, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Rising sophomore forward Duncan Robinson played his freshman year at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts, but could be on the move for next season.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
UCLA reopened Pauley Pavilion in 2012 after $136 million worth of renovations.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)