Jan 2, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 21 San Diego State 71, Colorado State 61
Xavier Thames continued his terrific play, going for 23 points, and Winston Shepard added 17 points as the Aztecs went into the always-difficult Moby Arena and knocked off a rebuilding Colorado State team, 71-61. It was a big win for a San Diego State team off to their second-best start in school history, as they locked up a league win in their first game of the season and did it in one of the toughest road environs in the conference. It could have been easy for the Aztecs to overlook this game as well. SDSU heads to Lawrence on Sunday to take on Kansas in a game with massive implications not only for the Aztecs but for the Mountain West as well. The league didn’t do all that well in the non-conference portion of the schedule, and picking of a team like Kansas — a Big 12 favorite that’s only going to get better as the season goes — would be a huge boost for their computer numbers.
1) Willis Hall went for 26 points and 21 boards as Charleston picked up a huge road win at Davidson. Those 21 rebounds tied Hall for the second-highest total in a game this season. Roscoe Smith of UNLV and Brandon West of Jackson State both snatched 22 boards in a game this season. The last time someone had that many boards and that many points in a game came on November 24th when Stony Brook’s Jameel Warney finished with 32 points and 21 boards in an overtime win against Detroit. The last time it happened in a game in regulation was when Yale’s Greg Mangano went for 35 points and 21 boards in a win over St. Joseph’s (NY) in January of 2012. The last time it happened in a game against a Division I program was when Thomas Robinson had 30 points and 21 boards on New Year’s Eve in 2011 against North Dakota.
2) Justin Jackson was a fantasy dream on Wednesday night. In Cincinnati’s 65-57 win over SMU, Jackson finished with 17 points, six boards, five blocks, five steals and three assists.
3) Bryce Dejean-Jones had 24 points and six boards and Khem Birch went from 14 points, 17 boards and four blocks in a 75-62 win for UNLV against Fresno State.
1) Olivier Hanlan went 3-for-12 from the floor and committed three turnovers as Boston College got smacked around by Harvard on Wednesday night.
2) Langston Hall was 1-for-8 from the floor and had just four points as Atlantic Sun favorite Mercer lost at North Florida, 89-83.
3) Playing their first game without Daniel Dingle, Anthony Lee was just 3-for-15 from the floor as Temple lost to Rutgers 71-66 in their American opener.
- Utah State, playing without Jarred Shaw, lost to Air Force, 73-72. That’s a bad loss in what is supposed to be the easy road trip leg in the MWC.
- Dayton put five players in double-figures as they beat Winthrop by 34.
- Brett Comer scored 24 points as FGCU moved to 2-0 in Atlantic Sun play and took a one game lead over Mercer.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Stanford’s back court depth took a hit this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Suspensions have been handed down for two James Madison players involved in a fall altercation.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Nebraska has been recruiting the state of Illinois very hard and it paid off with a 2016 commitment.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Kansas State has taken a hit to its front court depth this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida’s backcourt depth received a big boost this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Georgia State loses Kevin Ware with a high ankle sprain.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
American went from ninth in the Patriot League preseason polls to a No. 15 seed in the 2014 NCAA Tournament. Safe to say, the Eagles will be viewed much differently this time around with four returning starters.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Wyoming becomes a contender in the Mountain West Conference with the return of senior forward Larry Nance Jr.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Clemson added a junior college post that could come in and make an immediate impact.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
The Aggies now have one of the best recruiting classes in the country.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
American was the surprise team in the Patriot League a season ago. Can they repeat as league champs?
Oct 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No surprise that Murray State and Belmont are expected to be at the top of the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
L.J. Rose is expected to return around Christmas.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Gators are good enough to win the SEC. They have enough question marks to finish outside the top 25 as well.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
That fan looks like he’s enjoying things.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
These are the players to keep an eye on if you like seeing aerial acrobatics.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kansas State is losing a redshirt freshman to transfer.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia got a very skilled guard in the 2016 class.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Florida landed an in-state Class of 2015 wing to make it a four-man class.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Memphis found a 2016 guard to join center Nick Marshall in the recruiting class.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)