Jan 3, 2014, 1:05 PM EST
While folks in the Northeast are dealing with the impact of the latest winter storm, college basketball teams outside of the area are finding travel to be difficult for games in that part of the country. That was the case for North Carolina Central, and as a result their game at Wagner that was supposed to be played on Saturday has been canceled.
The game was supposed to be the final tuneup before the start of conference play for both the Eagles and Seahawks, with both programs expected to contend in their respective conferences. North Carolina Central’s currently 7-4 on the season, and among the wins for Levelle Moton’s team is an 82-72 overtime victory at N.C. State. If there’s a positive in this development for the Eagles is that they get a few days at home ahead of their MEAC opener against Hampton.
North Carolina Central has played four of its last five games away from home, and that would have been five of six had Saturday’s game been played. As for the Seahawks, prior to their win over former NEC rival Monmouth they’d lost five of six games. Bashir Mason’s team won’t play again until January 9, when they visit Central Connecticut State in the conference opener for both.
This is the third game to either be canceled or postponed as a result of the current storm, which was named Hercules by meteorologists. Iona’s MAAC contest against Quinnipiac, originally scheduled for Thursday, was postponed until Monday. As for the South Dakota State/Buffalo game that was originally scheduled for Friday, no makeup date has been announced.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)