Jan 3, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
One week after it was announced that Michigan sophomore center Mitch McGary would undergo surgery on his lower back, it was reported via Twitter by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com that the procedure will take place on Tuesday. McGary, who began having the issues during the summer, was averaging 9.5 points and 8.2 rebounds per game when he announced his decision.
“My back problems have been a daily challenge ever since late August,” McGary said last week. “We have worked hard rehabbing the injury and I thought that everything was proceeding in the right direction until the last two weeks. I have consulted with my family, my coaches and our doctors and decided the best option now is to have surgery. This was a difficult decision to make because I want to be out there with my teammates. At the same time, I need to be healthy to give everything I can on the court and help my team.”
According to Goodman, McGary is likely to miss the remainder of the season as a result of the procedure.
With McGary out the Wolverines have to rely more on the experienced Jon Horford, and in their 63-60 win at Minnesota on Thursday night he played his best game of the season. Horford tallied 14 points and nine rebounds, and over the last two games the 6-foot-10 junior is averaging 12.0 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
Also of note from last night’s victory was Glenn Robinson III suffering a left ankle injury early in the second half. Robinson did not return to the floor after the injury, and there’s been no update on his status for Michigan’s game against Northwestern on Sunday. With their leading rebounder already sidelined indefinitely, the Wolverines can ill-afford to be without Robinson (third on the team in rebounding) for an extended period of time.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)