Jan 3, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Through 13 games Rutgers guard Jerome Seagears is averaging 9.5 points and 4.2 assists per game, with his assist-to-turnover ratio (2.8) being tops in the American Athletic Conference. Given his ability to handle and distribute the basketball while making a low number of mistakes, Seagears would be a good player for the Scarlet Knights to have on the floor Saturday evening when they host No. 14 Louisville.
Unfortunately for Rutgers that may not be the case, as Seagears is still recovering from a sprained ankle that prevented him from playing in their win over Temple on Tuesday night according to Jerry Carino of Gannett New Jersey.
“He tried yesterday and couldn’t go through practice,” Rutgers head coach Eddie Jordan said of Seagears. “It may be in his best interest to give him a week off, because we don’t play again until next Saturday. I don’t want him to go out there practicing today and re-aggravating it and you tack on another two or three extra days. He’s made some progress, but my idea is to keep him off the ankle until next Saturday.”
In Rutgers’ 71-66 win over Temple junior Myles Mack and D’Von Campbell shared the point guard responsibilities, with Mack accounting for ten points, seven rebounds and six assists and Campbell adding four points and four assists. They’ll clearly be key players for the Scarlet Knights, who will have to to contend with a Louisville team that’s forcing opponents to turn the ball over on 25.6% of their possessions.
That figure ranks third nationally, and according to kenpom.com the Cardinals are the only team currently ranked in the top ten nationally in both adjusted offensive (first) and adjusted defensive (seventh) efficiency.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)