Jan 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Illinois knocked off Penn State in Champaign on Saturday afternoon, improving to 2-0 in Big Ten play with a 75-55 win over the Nittany Lions.
But with a little more than eight minutes left in the game, it was much closer. After a driving bucket from Kendrick Nunn, he collided with D.J. Newbill who responded with a half-punch, half-shoove to the back of Nunn’s head.
Nunn and Newbill went nose-to-nose after that, but teammates and coaches were able to separate them before anything too serious happened. Newbill was ejected, and Illinois is lucky that no one from their bench got tossed for coming onto the court. (In the video above, it looks like a timeout was called as the guys on the bench were wandering onto the floor before the two got tangled up.)
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)