Jan 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Illinois knocked off Penn State in Champaign on Saturday afternoon, improving to 2-0 in Big Ten play with a 75-55 win over the Nittany Lions.
But with a little more than eight minutes left in the game, it was much closer. After a driving bucket from Kendrick Nunn, he collided with D.J. Newbill who responded with a half-punch, half-shoove to the back of Nunn’s head.
Nunn and Newbill went nose-to-nose after that, but teammates and coaches were able to separate them before anything too serious happened. Newbill was ejected, and Illinois is lucky that no one from their bench got tossed for coming onto the court. (In the video above, it looks like a timeout was called as the guys on the bench were wandering onto the floor before the two got tangled up.)
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)