Jan 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Illinois knocked off Penn State in Champaign on Saturday afternoon, improving to 2-0 in Big Ten play with a 75-55 win over the Nittany Lions.
But with a little more than eight minutes left in the game, it was much closer. After a driving bucket from Kendrick Nunn, he collided with D.J. Newbill who responded with a half-punch, half-shoove to the back of Nunn’s head.
Nunn and Newbill went nose-to-nose after that, but teammates and coaches were able to separate them before anything too serious happened. Newbill was ejected, and Illinois is lucky that no one from their bench got tossed for coming onto the court. (In the video above, it looks like a timeout was called as the guys on the bench were wandering onto the floor before the two got tangled up.)
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 0
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)