Jan 4, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Illinois knocked off Penn State in Champaign on Saturday afternoon, improving to 2-0 in Big Ten play with a 75-55 win over the Nittany Lions.
But with a little more than eight minutes left in the game, it was much closer. After a driving bucket from Kendrick Nunn, he collided with D.J. Newbill who responded with a half-punch, half-shoove to the back of Nunn’s head.
Nunn and Newbill went nose-to-nose after that, but teammates and coaches were able to separate them before anything too serious happened. Newbill was ejected, and Illinois is lucky that no one from their bench got tossed for coming onto the court. (In the video above, it looks like a timeout was called as the guys on the bench were wandering onto the floor before the two got tangled up.)
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)