Jan 4, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
Marcus Smart threw down this huge dunk in transition against Kansas State today, but did it cost his team the game?
As you can see in the video, Smart earned himself a technical foul with the dunk, hanging on the rim and slapping the back board. I don’t love that call — it’s really, really hard to ask a player to control his emotions in a situation like that — but those rules are pretty much set in stone. Slap the back board after a dunk, and you’re going to be getting T’d up.
Here’s the thing: this was Smart’s fourth foul. He sat out for the next eight minutes. He was on the bench as Oklahoma State’s four point lead turned into a deficit. No. 6 Oklahoma State ended up losing 74-71.
Would it have been any different with Smart on the floor? Who knows, but generally speaking, the Pokes are better with Smart on the floor than Smart sitting on the bench in foul trouble.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)