Jan 4, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
To get an idea of where we are in college basketball in 2014, think about this: No. 17 UConn playing at SMU is a league game, one where the Huskies taking a 74-65 loss to the Mustangs probably isn’t an upset.
Let that sink in for a minute.
UConn has won three national titles and been to four Final Fours in the last 15 years. There are players on SMU’s basketball team that weren’t alive the last time that the Mustangs: a) made the tournament, and b) beat a ranked team at home, both of which happened in 1993. And, again, it probably wasn’t even an upset.
We’ve been over what’s plaguing the Huskies, so there’s really no need to rehash that conversation.
But what about the Mustangs?
How seriously do we have to take this team?
Think about it like this: this is a team with one of the nation’s most underrated guards in Nic Moore, a front line that features a trio of high-major big men — Markus Kennedy, Yannick Moreira, Shawn Williams — and has yet to get their most talented perimeter player, McDonalds All-American freshman Keith Frazier, into a rhythm.
I don’t think this group can win the American even when you factor in the Larry Brown Effect. I’m not betting against Louisville, Memphis or Cincinnati. But I do think it is fair to say that SMU can beat any team in this league on any given night. Those road trips to Dallas are not going to be the easy wins that they were during SMU’s Conference USA tenure.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)